• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A 30 Years War Movie: Alatriste

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To get the important part out of the way, this is not a good movie.

I was trying to find a historical drama on the 30 years war and this is one of the only ones I found. It is a Spanish language film that stars Viggo Mortensen. When I first looked up the film, I was confused by the casting, but it turns out he grew up in Argentina and speaks Spanish very fluently. The plot itself is a combination of all the books from El Capitan Alatriste, which, unfortunately, means the story spans 10+ years and is very convoluted. It revolves around political intrigue and love triangles, but the worst of both. One particular lowlight (or highlight) was a "no one expects the Spanish inquisition" scene that was done with full seriousness. The movies does make an effort to portray the cultural factors of the time, such as Spanish honor and how central Catholicism is to their world view, which is well executed (minus the previously mentioned scene).

For us muzzleloading nerds, there are some notable highlights. The siege of Breda is shown and the trench warfare aspect is well portrayed. It is also one of the only movies I found with wheellocks used, which is neat. The end of the movie is the battle of Rocroi, which has some off putting scale issues but shows a faithful display of a Tercio in action and "push of pike". There is also a charge of French Cuirassiers with wheellocks in hand.

If you have any interest, here is a link to it on YouTube. It is worth scrolling around the video for scenes of Viggo sword fighting or the large battles.

If anyone knows an actual good movie on the matchlock era, please let me know.

It's not Viggo's best work, and perhaps they blew their whole budget on his fee. The bottom line is, "Alatriste" has so many historical inaccuracies and over the top bad acting it can't be taken seriously, but as comic book bathos it is okay.

I may have just spaced out reading some of the subtitles, but I could not follow the plotline with his adopted son. Bad/mediocre movies in another language are rough because it is hard to tell what is viewer error in missing dialogue, or just bad writing.

The portrayal of the Dutch so negatively was also a little questionable, but I could be biased.

I watched Alien vs Predator the night before, so my perspective on bad action movies was skewed.

I was trying to find a historical drama on the 30 years war and this is one of the only ones I found. It is a Spanish language film that stars Viggo Mortensen. When I first looked up the film, I was confused by the casting, but it turns out he grew up in Argentina and speaks Spanish very fluently. The plot itself is a combination of all the books from El Capitan Alatriste, which, unfortunately, means the story spans 10+ years and is very convoluted. It revolves around political intrigue and love triangles, but the worst of both. One particular lowlight (or highlight) was a "no one expects the Spanish inquisition" scene that was done with full seriousness. The movies does make an effort to portray the cultural factors of the time, such as Spanish honor and how central Catholicism is to their world view, which is well executed (minus the previously mentioned scene).

For us muzzleloading nerds, there are some notable highlights. The siege of Breda is shown and the trench warfare aspect is well portrayed. It is also one of the only movies I found with wheellocks used, which is neat. The end of the movie is the battle of Rocroi, which has some off putting scale issues but shows a faithful display of a Tercio in action and "push of pike". There is also a charge of French Cuirassiers with wheellocks in hand.

If you have any interest, here is a link to it on YouTube. It is worth scrolling around the video for scenes of Viggo sword fighting or the large battles.

The clothing and the sets are incredible. Those big hats!

It is generally agreed among historians that the culmination of the Battle of Rocroi was also the swan-song for the use of massed pike warfare, almost putting the Swiss mercenary pikemen out of business for good.

I may have just spaced out reading some of the subtitles, but I could not follow the plotline with his adopted son. Bad/mediocre movies in another language are rough because it is hard to tell what is viewer error in missing dialogue, or just bad writing.

The portrayal of the Dutch so negatively was also a little questionable, but I could be biased.

I watched Alien vs Predator the night before, so my perspective on bad action movies was skewed.

Watching it in Vietnamese was bad enough for me...............my cheap DVD version has a choice of Turkish, Russian, Bulgarian, Estonian [but not Finnish], Latvian and Lithuanian - but not English, French, Irish or Welsh. Mind you, for 5 euros I shouldn't have expected much.

It is generally agreed among historians that the culmination of the Battle of Rocroi was also the swan-song for the use of massed pike warfare, almost putting the Swiss mercenary pikemen out of business for good.
This book: The Italian Wars 1494-1559: War, State and Society in Early Modern Europe (Modern Wars In Perspective): Shaw, Christine, Mallett, Michael: 9781138739048: Amazon.com: Books (better to not order from Amazon) does a great job describing how terrifying the Swiss were in their prime. They were able to win spectacular victories purely through grit and morale. The author also depicts how the wider adoption of shot was the beginning of the pike’s downfall, even if it would take another 100+ years.

Excellent report. Being warned it is not a good movie is ok as it sounds like it might have a few good points. Might give it a shot.

If you want good matchlock action I highly recommend Saints & Strangers. It was a two part mini series on tv a few years back. Got the DVD on eBay pretty cheap and it is one of my favorites. Best telling of the Mayflower landing and building the colony I've ever seen. Watched it several times already. Made for history buffs and matchlock fans.

If you want good matchlock action I highly recommend Saints & Strangers. It was a two part mini series on tv a few years back. Got the DVD on eBay pretty cheap and it is one of my favorites. Best telling of the Mayflower landing and building the colony I've ever seen. Watched it several times already. Made for history buffs and matchlock fans.
Good suggestion, I’ll check it out! My ancestors were part of the Puritan Great Migration to Massachusetts, so it’s a period I’ve been meaning to learn more about. Apparently, the horror movie The VVitch is the same setting and shows matchlocks.

Back