• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

8 bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still believe that the main idea of a long barrel fowler in a smaller bore whose length average 5 plus feet was because black powder was not has strong has what we use today , has we all know that black powder gains its strength has it burns up the barrel so therefore the long barrel .For double charging to me will not increase the range it was more than likely that most of the powder would leave the muzzle not ignited.
I have enclosed a image of a flintlock converted too percussion fowler in 9 bore with a 62inch barrel build approximately about 1780 which would have used the poor grade powder of the day , in the past I used this gun for shooting geese and ducks on flight lines and the powder I used was a standard 12 bore load of 2.3/4 drms of Curtiss and Harvey FFg which is a medium grade of powder to 1.1/4 oz of number 4 or 5 shot which resulted in shooting many a goose and duck to a distance of 50 to 60 yards
Feltwad

Last edited:
Back to the OP, I don't think an 8 gauge is too big if your gonna shoot targets.
The Federal limit on migratory birds is 10 bore, as is the state limit in Texas for a shotgun.

I met a gentleman from Missouri, I think, this spring at the Shotgun Soiree in Electra Tx. He had built a lovely cased Four Bore single barrel. He shot trap with it, using 2 ounces of shot and 2 ounces of powder. He murdered the birds from the 27 yard line, taking I believe 1st place.
Here's some pics... the muzzle pic is from the unbreached barrel... don't be alarmed.

Screenshot_20191023-132956_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191023-132956_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191023-133020_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191023-133045_Gallery.jpg

I still believe that the main idea of a long barrel fowler in a smaller bore whose length average 5 plus feet was because black powder was not has strong has what we use today , has we all know that black powder gains its strength has it burns up the barrel so therefore the long barrel .For double charging to me will not increase the range it was more than likely that most of the powder would leave the muzzle not ignited.
I have enclosed a image of a flintlock converted too percussion fowler in 9 bore with a 62inch barrel build approximately about 1780 which would have used the poor grade powder of the day , in the past I used this gun for shooting geese and ducks on flight lines and the powder I used was a standard 12 bore load of 2.3/4 drms of Curtiss and Harvey FFg which is a medium grade of powder to 1.1/4 oz of number 4 or 5 shot which resulted in shooting many a goose and duck to a distance of 50 to 60 yards
Feltwad
Wow! Somebody had a fowler last year at the Berryville shoot that had a 5' barrel. Beautiful!

Feltwad,
I don't see your John Cox amongst them.....
I have a barrel for a J Cox... (8 bore) But seem to recall yours is a 6 bore.

Pukka , Yes that is correct it is a 6 bore tube lock pigeon gun but is not on that image.
Hope we are not forgetting the original request of this thread but hopefully the images will give the builder some idea what too aim for
Feltwad

Screenshot_20191024-023611_Chrome.jpg

I've been looking at these for a while now.......

.820 round balls and a rifled barrel with a 1 in 110 twist? Yes Please.

People say they use some ridiculous charge like 250 grains of 2f.

I know it's not a Fowler but I think this would be fun for about 2 shots....unless the load was something sane like 120.

Re: the rack of fowlers. Just wow. I have no use for such a gun but I want one anyway.
Re: the October Country rifle.....been looking at that for years. Funds are lacking.
Pete

Interesting that these are all cap guns. Were any of the big ones (historically) done in flint?

How about something like this? Not really a "sporting" gun, though, is it?
RAMPART GUN.jpg

Here's a video of a person shooting such a rampart gun.....I think the video is of a repro....

LD

Interesting that these are all cap guns. Were any of the big ones (historically) done in flint?

The 4 bore rifles were made in flintlock right up until they were available as cartridge guns. But the majority of them were caplock. Don't know about fowlers.

Lots of wildfowling guns made in flintlock. Bores up to 4 or even 2-bore shoulder guns, then of course we get into punt-guns, and they too were made in flint.
In the earlier days of the 18th C, many duck guns were made with bores below that of a musket, but had V long barrels. The shorter (somewhat) and larger bores tended to be a little bit later.

Kyblackpower
Project looking good I prefer mine with a good lift from the barrel to the stock they handle better .
Keep us up to date
Feltwad

"with a good lift from the barrel to the stock they handle better" .
Keep us up to date
Feltwad[/QUOTE]
Hello Feltwad,
What do you mean " with a good lift from the barrel to the stock " ?
Best of the New Year!
Fred ( Old Ford )

"with a good lift from the barrel to the stock they handle better" .
Keep us up to date
Feltwad
Hello Feltwad,
Best of the New Year!
Fred ( Old Ford )[/QUOTE]

Fred maybe I should have explained better it is the amount of drop at both the comb and the heel . If we take the standard sporting gun in a s/b or a d/b the standard drop at the comb average 1.1/2 inch to 2.1/2 inch at the heel but it all depends on the trigger pull the average for an original is 14 to 14 1/4 but then the average man in those days was shorter.
When we get to the big bores there is a change which is considerable on some I have several 8 bores which average 1.3/4 to 2 inches at the comb too 2.3/4 too 3 inch at the heel my 6 bore tube lock is excessive but it for me handles the best it is 2.1/4 inch at the comb to 3 inch at the heel the trigger pull is 14 inches and from the toe to the trigger is 15 inch .Has I said it all depends on the trigger pull and the type of quarry if we take the live pigeon gun these have very little drop at both the comb and the heel which makes them shoot high at a going away bird. Hope that explains it better and a Happy New year to all
Feltwad

Will keep my eye on this thread and build, father in law was a market hunter on the eastern shore of VA, and used a 8 ga. last time I saw it; it was a clothes line post. Had one of the under hammer 8 bore a few years back now, and I loved to hunt pigs with it, we settled on a 900 grain RPB 200 grains of Swiss 2f, it did wonders on them, only thing I had to get used to was the double nipple, musket caps never failed when the hammer struck both:thumb:

Hello Feltwad,
Best of the New Year!
Fred ( Old Ford )

Fred maybe I should have explained better it is the amount of drop at both the comb and the heel . If we take the standard sporting gun in a s/b or a d/b the standard drop at the comb average 1.1/2 inch to 2.1/2 inch at the heel but it all depends on the trigger pull the average for an original is 14 to 14 1/4 but then the average man in those days was shorter.
When we get to the big bores there is a change which is considerable on some I have several 8 bores which average 1.3/4 to 2 inches at the comb too 2.3/4 too 3 inch at the heel my 6 bore tube lock is excessive but it for me handles the best it is 2.1/4 inch at the comb to 3 inch at the heel the trigger pull is 14 inches and from the toe to the trigger is 15 inch .Has I said it all depends on the trigger pull and the type of quarry if we take the live pigeon gun these have very little drop at both the comb and the heel which makes them shoot high at a going away bird. Hope that explains it better and a Happy New year to all
Feltwad[/QUOTE]
To Feltwad,
Thank you, I understand completely!
Fred

Back