• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

8 Bore Loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just took delivery of an 8 bore percussion rifle by Hollie Wessel through The Gun Works of Springfield, Oregon. The workmanship is magnificent and built in the style of 19th century African rifles of similar bore, etc. , as was intended. The rifle is a bit on the light side at 11 pounds. However, as I have no immediate plans to haul it off to East Africa in pursuit of a buff or ele, I just plan on shooting it for fun for now. Thinking of 100g FFG for starters. Any thoughts otherwise?

Glad to hear there are others out there shooting big calibers. I got a 7 ga. (.870) barrel from Turner Kirkland , Dixie Gun Wks. , back when I started stocking m/l's. It fired an .850 r/ball or 2.5 oz. shot using 160 gr. ffg. . The bruises have healed . Still have the barrel , W/ flint lock and have plans to Install it into a Jager stock that will fit me better. Will be using reduced loads in it , though. Too old for such punishing play..............oldwood

I shot an eight bore rifle twice one day. The load was 260 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 with a slug that I believe was 1200 grains. Unfortunately it is a classic English style rifle built for a right handed shooter. I shot left handed and got thumped pretty hard, but it hit the mark.

Shot a 2 bore once. Only once! That 1/2 pound of lead, takes some moving and the force in the opposite direction, has to be felt to be believed!
I agree They are tools of a trade and do shake your brains
Feltwad

Any bore 7 or 8 when sighting in w/ a ball from a bench , after 5 , or so shots , gives me a headache kinda like shaken brain syndrome. Talked to other folks , they say the same thing. Be careful out there........ oldwood

Using 1F powder tames recoil. I made a 4-bore and have shot it quite a bit. 350 grains of 1F is not a problem. It is a big slow push. 350 grains of 3F gave me a concussion. It was a vicious punch instead of a slow push. A the shot my vision went white. After the shot I was dizzy and my speech was slurred and incoherent. Thankfully the effect lasted half a minute. Use 1F powder! IT may be worth the trouble to try some "cannon" granulation. Have fun.

Using 1F powder tames recoil. I made a 4-bore and have shot it quite a bit. 350 grains of 1F is not a problem. It is a big slow push. 350 grains of 3F gave me a concussion. It was a vicious punch instead of a slow push. A the shot my vision went white. After the shot I was dizzy and my speech was slurred and incoherent. Thankfully the effect lasted half a minute. Use 1F powder! IT may be worth the trouble to try some "cannon" granulation. Have fun.
I agree your load of 350grains of 3Fg which represents not quit 13 drms is far too high my 4bore is Birmingham prove for 10 drms of 2Fg although I used it at a light load of 7 drms of 2Fg to 3 oz of number 3 shot with a moderate amount of recoil did the job successfully on geese at up to 50 to 70 yards .I found that the weight of the gun absorbed most of the recoil so large loads are not needed.
Feltwad

The 8 bore I hunted with standard load was 120 grains 2f 900 grain ball, it would just roll ya back a bit, for plinking dropped it down to 110 grains and a 800 grain ball . Never shot from a setting bench,the Ole man and I built a standing bench British style and shot that way

I 2nd the standing bench, best way to shoot the big stuff. A friend has a 8 bore smoothie, he shoots a square load of 2 oz; which I think is 140 grs ffg and equal (measure) of shot. I saw him break 24 of 25 birds with it, more than once. He also shoots prb, do I dont know the load.

I read an article in a hunting mag years ago where the author wanted to recreate the experience of 19th century hunting in Africa. He killed a cape buffalo with a rifle shooting a 1700 gr bullet on top of 400 gr of black powder. I can't recall the stated bore in the article but remember the bullet was about 15/16" in diameter. The article referenced a few British hunters from the era who shot rifles that were 4 bore and 2 bore, with the recoil resulting in immediate nose bleeds and spinning the shooter 180 degrees. I guess some people would get a "kick" out of it, but I have never felt the need to jump out of perfectly good airplanes or shoot a weapon that would cause that level of pain...

After reading about Selous and other,the thought about shooting their loads gives me the Willie's, the common practice was to place the ball in open hand and cover with powder,dump powder,ball ram away prime and run the animal down, Even Bakers 2 bore which is the only I've read about is just too much fun😏

Why would 1F produce any less recoil than 2F?

The larger sized grains of 1F compared to 2F means the powder burns slower. The slower burn means the acceleration of the ball is less. The impulse of the firing is less than the impulse of firing a 2F load. 1F gets fully burned in the barrel and performance is certainly acceptable. Might be a bit more fouling.

Comparing my original 8# 4bore shooting 2oz (875gr) over 135gr of 2F Swiss and a 10# Rigby match rifle shooting a 530gr over 85gr 2F Swiss - the 4 bore has less felt recoil. I also have a 8# 12 bore rifle that I shoot and hunt with, 850gr over 75gr 2f Swiss that is less than the Rigby.
It’s my option that the felt recoil is less because of the larger diameter spread/shorter powder column.
Your 100gr starting point seems reasonable, but shoot what’s most accurate as my 12b 850gr slug over 75gr 2f still passes thru every deer I’ve shot.

Latest posts

Back