• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.75 RIFLE???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then or now??

There is an early J P Beck that is ~67cal right off the top of my head.

Rice offers their .66cal barrel, Hoyt will cut .69 rifled, and Getz did make .72 rifled. Somebody did or does make even bigger like 4 bore, so how much pain do you want?

Anyone out there make a .75 caliber Kentucky rifle? I think I've only ever seen .62 as the bigest for a rifled American gun. Thoughts?
Holy smokes, man! That's some big piece of artillery. I have to ask: Why would anyone want a rifle big as a Brown Bess? Unless of course one is planning on big game hunting in Africa. That sounds like a fun adventure.

Your .75 cal is right at the 10 gauge shotgun size, which would make a nice turkey gun.

I have shot a 1oz roundball over 140gr ffg Swiss in a 9# rifle, 2" x 5" buttplate with not much drop, and it wasn't anything I wanted to shoot target with.

Anyone out there make a .75 caliber Kentucky rifle? I think I've only ever seen .62 as the bigest for a rifled American gun. Thoughts?
Not a Kentucky, but 75 cal rifled! I made this in the 70s or early 80s. It has a Goetz tapered 1.25" to 1" barrel
Larry
IMG_3102.jpeg
IMG_3099.jpeg

Not a Kentucky, but 75 cal rifled! I made this in the 70s or early 80s. It has a Goetz tapered 1.25" to 1" barrel
LarryView attachment 122564View attachment 122565
What's your normal hunting load for that beast? My .72 isn't to bad up to 150 grs offhand but off the bench it gets a little painful at 200 grs offhand I can deal with it but there's no way I will try that load off the bench.

What's your normal hunting load for that beast? My .72 isn't to bad up to 150 grs offhand but off the bench it gets a little painful at 200 grs offhand I can deal with it but there's no way I will try that load off the bench.
I quit hunting right after high school when I had to beg guys to go.
I have shot this in this in matches, but I prefer flint. Here is a 25 yd critter target. I like 40 grains of 2F, .735 ball with canvas patch. (for 25 yards) Rifling is .018 round bottom. I really can't tell you what a good hunt load is, but I would imagine if you hit the critter in the vitals he will be going down.
Is there a reason the holes are to the left? Yes, dummy me was leading him.😂

Larry
IMG_0257.jpeg

I quit hunting right after high school when I had to beg guys to go.
I have shot this in this in matches, but I prefer flint. Here is a 25 yd critter target. I like 40 grains of 2F, .735 ball with canvas patch. (for 25 yards) Rifling is .018 round bottom. I really can't tell you what a good hunt load is, but I would imagine if you hit the critter in the vitals he will be going down.
Is there a reason the holes are to the left? Yes, dummy me was leading him.😂

Larry
View attachment 122655
Holy moly with that load you're lobbing the balls like a mortar...:), but accurate one. My lightest load is 100 grs of 2f, the .72 has Forsyth rifling so it needs to be pushed a little harder to stay accurate at longer distances. My .72 is a flinter.

Latest posts

Back