• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.72 caliber rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got the .72 cal rifle I bought from a member here a couple of days ago and decided to give it a good cleaning. The stock was a little grimy but when it got cleaned up I was pleasantly surprised with the grain in the buttstock, to me, it looks like spalted maple.
I'm going to change the sights as is I think the rear sight is actually got some very sharp edges and
IMGP0964.JPG
IMGP0965.JPG
IMGP0967.JPG
IMGP0968.JPG
IMGP0969.JPG
IMGP0970.JPG
I have a set of unfinished Jaegers that will be perfect and the front sights are iron and I prefer silver.

I haven't gotten to shoot it yet and I'm interested to see how the Forsyth-style rifling performs. Once I get it all sighted in I think I'll take it down to southern Missouri and hunt some hogs with it.

Go easy with it andy!!! Or, keep your chiropractor on speed dial and ask you opthamologist if he has any experience with detached retina's.
Robby

Go easy with it andy!!! Or, keep your chiropractor on speed dial and ask you opthamologist if he has any experience with detached retina's.
Robby
When I get it to the range I'll probably use a starting load of 100 grs 2F and work up to about 150 max. The gun weighs 11 pounds so that should help some with the recoil.

Very nice gun
Andy
But
I'm
More interested in the
Cannon in the third
Picture

Jim in La Luz
😎

I think I'd start with 80 grains and work up if needed . I seriously doubt the hogs will know the difference but you will . Never owned a .72 but I have shot a lot of game with both .58 and a .62 and never needed more than 75-80 grains of powder . Of course if you like shooting that much , go for it . Enjoy !

Last edited:
I haven't gotten to shoot it yet and I'm interested to see how the Forsyth-style rifling performs. Once I get it all sighted in I think I'll take it down to southern Missouri and hunt some hogs with it.
That should be plenty of gun. I have killed hogs with my .40 cal southern mountain rifle 🙂 would like to watch you shoot it.

That should be plenty of gun. I have killed hogs with my .40 cal southern mountain rifle 🙂 would like to watch you shoot it.
I've got three guys I know here that have asked to come to the range when I light this thing off. Two said they wanted to video it, when they do I'll post one of them up.

I shot 85gr fffg (3 drams) under a .690" PRB from a TC Tree Hawk. That was enough for that gun, but I doubt it weighed 7#. I've shot a .69 rifle with 140gr ffg and PRB, and its recoil was sharp, but weighed less than 9#. 11# should really help tame the 12 bore.

I figure to shoot it in three stages starting at 100 grs, 125, and ending with 150. At least that way I'll start to get a feel for how bad the recoil will be.

Love these big bore guns!

First thing needed is to round the sharp edge of the taper to bore on the muzzle.

and get the right ball and patch combination.

A .72 can be from .715 to .730 in bore size.

In my .73, I shoot a mild load of 125FF and a .725RB.

Love these big bore guns!

First thing needed is to round the sharp edge of the taper to bore on the muzzle.

and get the right ball and patch combination.

A .72 can be from .715 to .730 in bore size.

In my .73, I shoot a mild load of 125FF and a .725RB.
This rifle has Forsyth rifling so there might not be an issue at the muzzle.
The member I bought this from sent me some .710 balls that he was using and a .710 NEI mold and the load combo he was using.
After I get the sights switched out I will have to resight it in.

Last time, a radius is better than a sharp edge on any style rifling.

Back