• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

7 yr old trophy boar from last night

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes sir I own a pedersoli Kodiak double .72. im working it into the mix. the roundballs weigh about 500 grains and the rifle shoots well for the range I hunt. ive also shot some 1,000 grain conicals out of it. although the twist is not even close to being ideal it would smack a hog well at the ranges I hunt.
im not agains roundballs I shoot them a lot more than conicals but for me starting at .58 caliber I notice more pass throughs. this whole last year has been dedicated to hunting pigs with a traditional smoke pole over 50 taken, 22 so far with patched round ball. starting with .54 and up I have no problem passing through sows or young boars, but when they hit the 7 yr old mark with massive front shoulders thick hair and mud that is like a brick, the layers of fat then into the vitals and out the other side I prefer a heavy conical. ill continue my quest hunting with a patched round ball some but im getting close to bringing out the .72. ill have to shoot it at night and see how it shoots with a front white sight and my red led headlamp
I took a look at that bullet and I can't think of a better choice. Those are NICE bullets, with a nice wide metplat and everything. I would have bet good money that it would have gone right through even the Titanic. !! It all comes down to you can only predict so much when it comes what any bullet or ball will do, "when the bullet meets the bone". Might have got exactly the same results with a .72" round ball, you just don't know. Shoot another hog, just as big, with the same load and bullet, might/will/probably/most likely get totally opposite results.

Theres going to be a lot of piglets around here soon they have a gestation cycle of around 115 days ive got tons of game cam pics of the boars makin bacon. The good thing is the big dominate boars will run them off. unless a sow is ready to breed the older boars run everything off. This is by far the best tract of land ive ever hunted for hogs. if ii take a big boar there s another one moving into the area claiming territory pigs can give birth up to 3 times a year but most of the time its 2 for sure. the next couple months ill be killing them every week july and august I take a break as its un bearable in a groundblind at night. acorns usually start dropping September so I start back then my hunting areas are right in the bottoms. I should be hunting deer but I always end up hunting hogs instead

And here I was trying to think up a good reason to give you..., to justify buying another rifle....:oops: ;) :D

LD
We could justify him into a Brown Bess musket. 150 grains of fg behind a round ball would have some effect on one of them Titanic pigs.

Howie,

I do not hunt deer anymore. Just pigs. Here anyway.
we have some awesome bucks on our place, lol I just watch them. ive had so many awesome bucks within 20 yards but after years of getting pictures of them seeing them mature I just sit and watch them or sleep in the blind. pigs that's what I lobve to hunt

Latest posts

Back