• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

#7 shot for Pedersoli side by side 20 ga

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking to do some upland hunting with my 20 Ga Pedersoli side by side. I'm new to shotgun muzzleloading and I'm trying to track down a good source for #7 non-toxic shot to do my loads. Does anyone have a good suggestions? I located this: https://www.rotometals.com/bismuth-shot-99-99-pure-1-pound/

Bismuth looks like the go-to alternative for lead--is this safe to use in a muzzle? From what I've read steel is not advisable--and lead looks to be banned (Is this only for waterfowl--I'm only planning on doing upland?).

Too long didn't read version--lead is legal for upland--still advisable? From what I've read, lead is the safest for my muzzleloader. If not--is Bismuth a good alternative?

Thanks!

Some areas for Upland bird hunting do require non-toxic shot, but they will be clearly marked & designated. Otherwise, lead can be used most everywhere except possibly Commiefornia. ML shotgun velocities tend to be quite a bit lower than modern shotshells & I have found that larger, heavier shot than #7 is more effective on the larger game birds like pheasant or grouse, especially in a 20. I use #5 for nearly everything as I found a load using it that patterned well in my gun, but #4 or #6 would also be viable choices. I reserve #7 1/2 for clay target practice & doves. If you are required to use non-toxic, Bismuth would be my first choice.

I would stick with lead where legal. Also, unless small game birds like quail and doves are your primary targets, I would go with #6 or #5 shot.
I know a lot of folks used to use finer shot like 7 1/2 for pheasant, with cartridge guns, but, muzzleloaders don't generate the same velocity, and, it takes more of them on target to have the same terminal effect. Which means more, and smaller, shot to pick out of the game.

Wild birds or released birds? I have no problem dropping roosters with #7.5 copper plated from Roto-metals (I bought the 10 pound bag). I use #6 or even 5 on wild birds. They tend to be a little bigger and faster ( they gain distance quicker). I’ve also used #7 Bismuth and it seems a close cousin to the 7.5 copper plated. I use the #5 Bismuth on Mallards and smaller ducks and I’ve used it where necessary on pheasant, sharptail and prairie chickens. All this in the Pedersoli 20 gauge.

Ok based on replies, I believe I'm going with this:

https://www.rotometals.com/eagle-magnum-lead-shot-25-lbs-bag/
Magnum lead appears to resist deformation from what I've read--but not enough to damage a barrel right? :) As you can tell--I've read about some barrel deformation when people used steel (obviously) and one post where someone said even copper/nickel plated lead can perhaps cause issues.

Thoughts on the Magnum #5? Thanks again~!

Ouch on that price. All shot will deform, and no, it will not damage your barrel. Unless hunting pheasants, I'd go with #7 shot. Hits hard, but fills the pattern in better for smaller game birds. Its what I use in unmentionable and black powder shotguns.

I just receive a 25 lb of #7 shot Eagle Magnum lead from Rotometals. . It was not available much a little while back. I plan to use it in my restocked Bess with 12 gauge shot cups, (as well as my .62 Fusil de Chasse and .62 French Dragoon pistol whenever I get them built :) )

Ok based on replies, I believe I'm going with this:

https://www.rotometals.com/eagle-magnum-lead-shot-25-lbs-bag/
Magnum lead appears to resist deformation from what I've read--but not enough to damage a barrel right? :) As you can tell--I've read about some barrel deformation when people used steel (obviously) and one post where someone said even copper/nickel plated lead can perhaps cause issues.

Thoughts on the Magnum #5? Thanks again~!

Lead shot, washed, plated, magnumized or otherwise will not harm a shotgun barrel. For more information than you probably really want to know: Understanding Lead Shot Quality: Part 2

Number 7 shot, lead, works well for clay targets. It has around 10 to 20 percent more inertia than 7 1/2. For the larger game birds larger shot would work.

Back