• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.69 Caliber Rifled 1842's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw one for sale and it made me wonder, who among us shoots the .69 bore rifled muskets?
I'd be hard pressed to name a muzzleloader I liked any more than the Fremont with 33" barrel.
dyYEa14.jpg

Mine is a defarbed 42 armisport smoothbore, John Zimmerman at Bolivar Heights WVA. de-farbed it done a fine job on it. Nothing like slinging big lead down range or especially a deer.

+1 for Moose

I shoot a 1842 but mine is a cut down smoothbore. During the War of Northern Aggression, the South used pretty much whatever it could get that would go bang and to supplement that, took damaged arms from the battlefields and had them repaired and reissued. The Macon Arsenal was one such arsenal and they did quite a few 1842s. Mine is a repop of one and I like the length and feel. FWIW, the 1842 in 69cal, when rifled, was found to be more accurate than the rifled 58 but the recoil was pretty bad on the average troop so they went with the 58.

+1 for Moose

I shoot a 1842 but mine is a cut down smoothbore. During the War of Northern Aggression, the South used pretty much whatever it could get that would go bang and to supplement that, took damaged arms from the battlefields and had them repaired and reissued. The Macon Arsenal was one such arsenal and they did quite a few 1842s. Mine is a repop of one and I like the length and feel. FWIW, the 1842 in 69cal, when rifled, was found to be more accurate than the rifled 58 but the recoil was pretty bad on the average troop so they went with the 58.
I remember reading that the .69 Minie out of a rifles musket was more accurate but the trade off wasn't seen as worth it due to recoil and the added weight of .69 cartridges for logistics , transport and troop carry vs the .58

Mine is an Armisport with the 33" barrel with .696" bore diameter, a great excuse to have molds modified to suit.
69 Fremont.JPG

sizer and dowel.JPG

Big Chief Buffalo Nickel.jpg

Saw one for sale and it made me wonder, who among us shoots the .69 bore rifled muskets?
I'd be hard pressed to name a muzzleloader I liked any more than the Fremont with 33" barrel.
dyYEa14.jpg
I have one of the 1842 Springfield repros, haven't fired live yet. Always liked the big .69's as a kid visiting Gettsyburg! A friend has a smoothie '42 repro, that's handy, too.

I have a Pedersoli .69 1816 Springfield percussion conversion with a ladder sight on it, and it puts Lee Slugs into 4-6" at 100 , but I usually use .65 round balls in cartridges

It's my "repro " of the conversion muskets that were supposed to be "rifled and sighted" but were not rifled by sketchy contractors who just wanted their $$ from the US Govt. So they just soldered the ladder sight on , converted them to percussion and called it good .

I have wanted one for years

The Chiappa kits are tempting , I'd send it right to Lodgewood for defarbing after I fit everything up
I'm gonna be gettin' a Spiller & Burr replica at some point; I've been told Lodgie is good for de-farbs on such. I have smaller hands and a friend's S&B feels nice in my grip. The mechanical feel of his Pietta is really fine, very precise. But I do want it de-farbed as it's "too modern" as it comes out of the box.

I'm gonna be gettin' a Spiller & Burr replica at some point; I've been told Lodgie is good for de-farbs on such. I have smaller hands and a friend's S&B feels nice in my grip. The mechanical feel of his Pietta is really fine, very precise. But I do want it de-farbed as it's "too modern" as it comes out of the box.
Having Lodgewood defarb my Pedersoli 1816 is high on my list of things to do , because it's one of my most fired guns and having it be "right" would be awesome

Latest posts

Back