• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.69 caliber 1847 Springfield reproduction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently just won a Springfield 1847 by Armi-Sport off of GB. It has rifle sights but is a smoothbore. Does anyone have experience one of these? I did think it was rifled but am happy to it as is. I know Armi-Sport made a copy of the 1842 musket that was liked.

Any thoughts are appreciated,

Used one for years as a union living historian good solid weapon never had a problem with it and it was shot to H### and back with blank cartridges, never hard balled it but would not have a problem doing that either. Mine is also smooth bore but no rear sight. enjoy your purchase.

Are you sure it's not rifled? The rifling is very shallow with 3 wide lands and grooves. Despite what the ad said, it's still a model 1842. Rifled 1842s were originally smooth bores that were returned to armories to be rifled. I assume the lock plate is stamped 1847 which is a manufactured date not a model number.

I am not actually sure it is not rifled ( no picture of bore) but that is what the person who owned it said. On the top on the barrel next hammer as well as the lock plate is 1847. When I saw it I thought it was a 1842 but am no expert. Thank you both for replies. I am finding information on the 1847 a little sparse.

"FLAYDERMAN'S GUIDE TO ANTIQUE AMERICAN FIREARMS" says there were only 3 actual "U.S. Model 1847's". All of them were "Musketoons" or short muskets.
It lists the "Artillery Musketoon" model, the "Sappers Musketoon" model and a "Cavalry Musketoon" (p 565-567). The Artillery model was made from 1848 thru 1859.
All of them were .69 caliber smoothbore guns with a 26" barrel. They had one barrel band and one nosecap which has an open area between the 2 overlapping areas that hold the barrel in place. On the top of the forward area of this nosecap is a front sight. There does not appear to be a rear sight on the barrel.
The "Sapper" model had a special bayonet mounting lug on the upper right side of the nosecap and an additional double steel lug attached to the right side of the front of the barrel for attaching a special brass hilted sword-bayonet made only for this model.
The Cavalry model ramrod is retained with swiveling links under the muzzle of the barrel, it lacks sling swivels and has a 9 1/4" long ring bar on the left side of the stock to attach a lanyard to.

I'm not sure if a Armi-Sport version looks like this description but I thought you folks might be interested in the information

Armi-Sport also made a copy of the two band "short rifle" 1842 known as the Fremont Rifle, but it wasn't a musketoon. It had a 33' barrel. The carbines and musketoons also had a shorter lock than the Model 1842.

gemmer is correct, 1847 is the manufacture date chosen by armi-sport for their 1842 Springfield (1842-1855). What length is your barrel?

I am not actually sure it is not rifled ( no picture of bore) but that is what the person who owned it said. On the top on the barrel next hammer as well as the lock plate is 1847. When I saw it I thought it was a 1842 but am no expert. Thank you both for replies. I am finding information on the 1847 a little sparse.
If it is rifled and you want to shoot minis out of it, you need to measure your bore size. Armi 1842s tend to have oversize bores. Originals were around .687. Some Armi '42s run as big as .693. Find a machinist with a set of plug gauges and have him measure it. You mine should be .001-.002 under bore size. Moose Moulds makes an excellent semi wadcutter mould in several sizes that should work for you. You'll also need a sizing die to size it to the proper fit.

"FLAYDERMAN'S GUIDE TO ANTIQUE AMERICAN FIREARMS" says there were only 3 actual "U.S. Model 1847's". All of them were "Musketoons" or short muskets.
It lists the "Artillery Musketoon" model, the "Sappers Musketoon" model and a "Cavalry Musketoon" (p 565-567). The Artillery model was made from 1848 thru 1859.
All of them were .69 caliber smoothbore guns with a 26" barrel. They had one barrel band and one nosecap which has an open area between the 2 overlapping areas that hold the barrel in place. On the top of the forward area of this nosecap is a front sight. There does not appear to be a rear sight on the barrel.
The "Sapper" model had a special bayonet mounting lug on the upper right side of the nosecap and an additional double steel lug attached to the right side of the front of the barrel for attaching a special brass hilted sword-bayonet made only for this model.
The Cavalry model ramrod is retained with swiveling links under the muzzle of the barrel, it lacks sling swivels and has a 9 1/4" long ring bar on the left side of the stock to attach a lanyard to.

I'm not sure if a Armi-Sport version looks like this description but I thought you folks might be interested in the information

Thank you I was finding only this as well. This image is of mine (top). I am considering the 1861 as well also by Armi-sport if this 1842 (or 1847) is truly a smoothbore.

I would like to try NS skirmish shoot.

Attachments

• 101_0041.JPG
    101_0041.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 139
I think I followed that same auction on Gunbroker. You got a very good price on it. I suspect you will find it is rifled when you get it in hand. Finding a good fitting minnie bullet will be difficult. The old Lyman .69 Minnie mold (now discontinued) was a bit too small in diameter to get good accuracy. Also shooting a 750 grain bullet can be uncomfortable if you shoot more than a few rounds. You might want to consider shooting a patched .680 round ball. It should give good accuracy. I sold the rifled version that I had, but still have one of the smoothbores that I use for N-SSA competition. Good Luck!

I think I followed that same auction on Gunbroker. You got a very good price on it. I suspect you will find it is rifled when you get it in hand. Finding a good fitting minnie bullet will be difficult. The old Lyman .69 Minnie mold (now discontinued) was a bit too small in diameter to get good accuracy. Also shooting a 750 grain bullet can be uncomfortable if you shoot more than a few rounds. You might want to consider shooting a patched .680 round ball. It should give good accuracy. I sold the rifled version that I had, but still have one of the smoothbores that I use for N-SSA competition. Good Luck!

I thought I did well too. I bought it because it looked like a 1840 (though marked a 1847) and the auction closed on July 4th (day Vicksburg surrendered). I am looking forward to embarrassing myself at a match soon. :)

I thought I did well too. I bought it because it looked like a 1840 (though marked a 1847) and the auction closed on July 4th (day Vicksburg surrendered). I am looking forward to embarrassing myself at a match soon. :)
I would check w the N-SsA. the only American smoothbore Approved w a sight Is the H-P conversion And they are all originals.. Which the one in The pic is not. And would not be approved for N-SS use. The H- P had a sight simular to the 1861 pictured.

Thank you for the heads up but as someone in this thread said they think my seller is incorrect and it is actually a rifled musket. I am beginning to suspect they are correct. Since starting to look into this the Armi- Sports 1842 replicas I have seen with a smoothbore barrel lack rear sights.

If 1842 does turn out to be a smoothbore then I am sure the rear sight could be removed.

Would that make it legal in Smoothbore NSSA?

If 1842 does turn out to be a smoothbore then I am sure the rear sight could be removed.

Would that make it legal in Smoothbore NSSA?
I would say yes, but you can ask them directly on their bulletin board @ www.n-ssa.net. Scroll down to the small arms section. I'm sure John Holland will set you straight.

Well you are correct I received the 1842 musket today and you were correct it is rifle. There was dust in the bore and this was the sellers Fathers rifled musket. So now to get some minis and round ball.

Thank you All for you advice!

Back