• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

62 Smooth bore by WKD

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

40 Cal
Reaction score
Purchased this from Kevin (WKD). Test fired today with PRB and pillow ticking with powder card between ball and charge. 30 yard groups 1.7 inches. Will be doing a shot test with #6 shot tomorrow.

Gun is well made, finished and feels real nice to the hand.

Try it at 50 yds with ball; that will tell you a lot more about the load than 30 yds.
Will when I can get to the range and develop a load 30 yds is all the room I have in my indoor shop/range.

Will when I can get to the range and develop a load 30 yds is all the room I have in my indoor shop/range.

Hope you had a fan running Rich!:D

Seriously, that's a great start and I'm glad you like the gun. I have a suspicion that you'll like it all the more as you keep experimenting!

Best regards, Skychief

Ok tested today with both shot and PRB. Fired 4 groups of 3 shots each at 50 yards. Average off a lead sled bench rest were 1.685 swabbed between each shot.

Now the real reason I purchased the smooth bore from Kevin. Fired 4 paper targets 4ft x 4ft white paper at 35 yards. Used 68 grains FFG, powder card, cushion wad, shot card, 1 oz #6 shot, overshot card. 78 percent of all the #6 shot were inside a 36 inch circle. Certainly good enough for Turkey, Quail, and Dove.

The gun performed much better with loaded powder card/cushion wad/shot card/shot/shot card. Without a shot card between the cushion and shot, it seemed to leave a "hole" in the middle of the pattern on paper. Don't know why unless some shot embedding in the cushion wad.

At any rate, seemed to have found the loads the 62 smoothie likes. Very happy with this gun.

I would like some advice on how to improve the "lock time" I guess you call it. The time between the pan flash and the powder charge going off. It seems quite long compared to some videos I have seen. I did open up the touch hole to 16th of an inch but that did not improve anything. Using FFG powder charge and FFFG in the pan. Do I need 4 F in the pan?

Ok, 4F in the pan, and either 2 or 3F in the barrel. Discharge is much better, almost instant. Round balls seem to shoot better with 3f and shot seems better with 2f. 2f seems just a tad slower to discharge but fires ahead of the "flinch factor". All is good.

Ok here is the "Turkey Test". Shot target at 32 yards. 67grs Goex FFG, powder card, 1/2 inch cushion, 1oz #6 shot, shot card.

Attachments

• turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 122
Back