• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

62 cal 2 shot Load Testing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BS

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Barrel is a 32" Rice .62 with a 104 twist Forsyth rifling.
62CrownW.jpg

1st shot is with a patched .620 PRB, using .015 Duct with 50/50 wiper fluid and simple green.
2nd shot is with a .610 hard ball [reclaimed lead] using a tapered paper cartridge. [SPEED-RELOADING]
62-135-PaperW.jpg

62-135FF-.620-1w.jpg

Day2
62-135FF-.620-2w.jpg

Day3
62-135FF-.620-3w.jpg

Sorry for the different targets and scale, but this is a first and second shot comparison.

Target Overlay
62-135FF-.620-1,2,3W.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the PRB 620 looks better.
Change up the lube combo and mess with the load charge a bit and I'll bet you'll start getting some really tight groups.
Thanks for sharing, ;)
p.s., what is,, "using .015 Duct", ?

".015 Duct" is drill cloth from Joann Fabric, found in same location as the cotton duck, but was simply marked "utility cloth" on the end of the bolt

The 32" barrel is 1.1/8" tapering to 1".

The butt plate is an Early Wide. 2.1/8" x 5.1/4".

135FF is mild compared to some of the heavier tried.

This is a hunting, not a target rifle.

Best way to describe recoil is that it is a modern 20 gage with slugs.

If I'm understanding correctly you fire the duct load and then the paper load back to back at the same target? Have you tried reversing the order?

well, looks like they're always within about an inch of each other which is likely about as good as it'd be if ya tried two identical loads back-to--back.

When hunting, I use a patched round ball.

Fast reloads is what the tapered paper cartridge is for.

You can shoot 3 or 4 of them before they start loading hard.

Accuracy is good. It has been a while since I shot a bunch of them in a row.

Have you tried back to back paper cartridges? Just to keep things simple and more consistent.
That first shot is the most important. So he is placing a tight load for maximum accuracy. Need be, he’s practicing for the follow up shot with a load that is much less arm-wrenching. I myself practice for six reloads, because the deer here are significantly smaller than the broad side of a barn.

Jay, the only advantage is the taper, it helps with the ease of stuffing it down the hole.

As a way to use up scrap hard lead, and the second shot may need more penetration than expansion.

You don't have to, but you cannot use a .620 with a full wrap of paper, won't fit, so a smaller diameter is used.

I could use a smaller ball with thicker patching and use the same ball, but the smaller ball doesn't group as well.

Because a smaller diameter ball is easier to load on the reload. The larger diameter ball goes in first because it will give best accuracy and highest weight/ energy.
Sort of, the smaller ball needs a tight fit to work best.

You have to adjust the wraps of paper to get a fit that takes some thumb pressure to start into the bore.

This is something that you have to try and adjust, if a looser working paper cartridge groups with your barrel, use it.

Latest posts

Back