• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

58 with 15-16 barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just acquired a 58 cal rifle with a 15 -16 barrel made by the same company that makes the Lyman GPR my question where would be a good place to start load development also what ball size and patch thickness would be to start out , I have yet to order a ball mold for it thanks R

/

Hawkin? Enfield?

Investarms makes a good rifle, Mine is a Hawkinish half stock and loves 70 gr 3f and .570 ball wrapped in .18 ticking dry patch 7-1 ballistal.

I have one 58 that I use a .570 and .015 ticking. Another 58 I have to use a .562 and .015 patch because the bore is substantially tighter. I’d try the different sizes before I ordered a mold.

The invest arms .58 Hawken rifles were marketed by Cabelas back in the 80's. It was a nice gun, and the .58 had a chrome lined bore which made for easy cleaning. Not sure if the other calibers offered also had chrome lined bores. The gun was great for carrying afield, but it was advised not to use stout patched ball loads or conical loads as they were prone to cracking at the tang.

I bought a.58 cal. InvestArms rifle with a 15/16" bbl; seems like it was back at the end of the seventies. Never have seen another one like it, but good to hear I was not the lone wolf in owning one. Nice rifle to handle in brush or a stand.
That barrel has very shallow rifling grooves and sort of a quick twist for a big bore. Never achieved outstanding accuracy with PRB loads, and tried for almost ten years before I finally became resigned to hunting with a 440 grain Lee REAL bullet setting on 65 grains of genuine FFg powder. Outstanding combo for a hunting load - I could add more FF or switch to triple F powder to increase range but the added kick was more that I liked, so just hunted in the range of 50 to 100 yards. With the short sight radius on the open sights that was all I was comfortable doing anyway. ;)
The patent breech plug sometimes gave trouble with ignition, so be mindful of keeping it clear and clean.

I have just acquired a 58 cal rifle with a 15 -16 barrel made by the same company that makes the Lyman GPR my question where would be a good place to start load development also what ball size and patch thickness would be to start out , I have yet to order a ball mold for it thanks R

I bought a ‘15/16ths’ 58cal Lyman barrel a few years back with intention of usin in a TC Hawken stock. Wouldn’t go in the Hawken stock and rattled around very loosely in a Renegade stock with nipple/hammer alignment issues.

The Interarms .58 cal. rifle is a very potent rifle, 70-80 grains of 2F will take anything on this continent.
Shooting a .58 cal. ball takes practice and knowledge to keep hitting smaller items at varying ranges. But that is the whole fun in shooting and getting to know your gun.
In general .58 ball are not terribly effected by light breezes, and hold their course out to one hundred and twenty five ( 125 ) yards.
Shooting a steel gong with different calibers, you will see the advantage of a .58 ball over a .40-.45-.50 ball.
The gun can handle 3F powders, but 2F gives you an added safety margin when speaking of peak pressures.
There is not a lot of metal between the barrel wall thickness and the threads of the breech plug. More than enough for sane loads, but marginal for idiot loads.
It is hard to buy a better hunting rifle with large bore and slender barrel than the one the OP poster has.
Have a great day !
Fred

Back