• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58 vs .62 Round Ball (Smoothbore)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POLL: Which Smoothbore Round Ball Caliber?

• .58 Roundball (SMOOTHBORE)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • .62 Roundball (SMOOTHBORE)

Votes: 34 79.1%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi friends. I am on the path to my first smoothbore flintlock and I’m trying to decide between a .58 and .62.

I would mostly be shooting roundies, as my desert environment is not conducive at all to small game (roadrunners and itty bitty ground squirrels are not on the menu for me lol) so it’d be mostly recreational target shooting with round balls. I would be getting a barrel of proper profile for said caliber whichever it may be so weight and balance shouldn’t be a factor so much.

I also did the math and even buying commercial roundies (I currently don’t cast) I’d be only saving about $0.10 per shot with the .58 roundies. I normal shoot say 25-30 shots per weekly range session so even if I shot every week for a month, I’d only be saving a whopping $9-$12 with the smaller caliber, not enough to worry abouts whatever.

So is there an intrinsic benefit to either caliber in round ball target work? I imagine the .58 might shoot a bit flatter than the .62 balls?

Just trying to see what you all think and what you would choose as again, I’ve never owned a smoothy and this would be a considerable investment. Thanks and God bless,

-Dillon

I think the difference is marginal. The .58's will be cheaper per 50 that is no doubt. The place where I buy from (track of the wolf) sells .62 per 25 and not 50. One thing to consider, at least in my state, 20 gauge/.62 is required to Turkey hunt (if that is at all on your agenda)

If this is mostly for recreational shooting patched round ball, I would recommend a 54 caliber smoothbore or 28 gauge. Components are relatively easy to find. The trajectory is flatter for more accurate shooting. For shot at rabbit or squirrel, the 28 gauge will be effective.

@Smokey Plainsman, if you think you might return to a place where you may be hunting turkey and there is a bore restriction, then the choice should be a 62 caliber or 20 gauge.

I’ve a .62 and .54 both are killers. I know some boys with a smooth rifle do well at ranges out to a hundred yards, but I consider smoothbore a fifty yard gun. Trajectory differences don’t really matter in this range.
Often the barrels on cut from the same stock, so the .62 is a little lighter then a .58 but again not so as you would notice.
A .58 will drop most any game in North America
There is a ‘gee’ factor. 62 is real popular, but out side the WTBS .58 is less common.
A .58 smoothbore won’t be a one of a kind but it’s not seen in every ones stable

Both are excellent and will do anything you'll want a smoothbore to do. But there are some states that require 20ga as the minimum for some game.

I voted .58 because I already have a .62, but you do you. ; ) Seriously as somebody else said if just for a round ball shooter I would probably go even smaller. I have a .56 Renegade smooth bore and it is a great plinker with thick patched .530 & .535 balls. I have bought some “more correct” .550 balls but honestly for my usual 25 yard steel plate plinking the “.54” caliber balls shoot accurately enough. And I cast .530 so that is a bonus. Another bonus is how easily that Renegade’s smooth bore cleans up. It is definitely my go-to rifle for some fun BP plinking.

For me, I'd go for which ever rifle/smoothbore looks and feels best. I don't think any animal hit with either a .58 or .62 is going to be able to tell the difference. .58 ever so slightly flatter shooting, but beyond 75-100 yards it's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.

Hi friends. I am on the path to my first smoothbore flintlock and I’m trying to decide between a .58 and .62.

I would mostly be shooting roundies, as my desert environment is not conducive at all to small game (roadrunners and itty bitty ground squirrels are not on the menu for me lol) so it’d be mostly recreational target shooting with round balls. I would be getting a barrel of proper profile for said caliber whichever it may be so weight and balance shouldn’t be a factor so much.

I also did the math and even buying commercial roundies (I currently don’t cast) I’d be only saving about $0.10 per shot with the .58 roundies. I normal shoot say 25-30 shots per weekly range session so even if I shot every week for a month, I’d only be saving a whopping $9-$12 with the smaller caliber, not enough to worry abouts whatever.

So is there an intrinsic benefit to either caliber in round ball target work? I imagine the .58 might shoot a bit flatter than the .62 balls?

Just trying to see what you all think and what you would choose as again, I’ve never owned a smoothy and this would be a considerable investment. Thanks and God bless,

-Dillon

Buy a mould or two and the price of balls already cast is irrelevant.
You will save money in the long run.

-Dillon

Got a TC Hawkin flinter .62 rifle and Renegade flinter smooth bore, both 32" barrels.
Handling with that size and length of barrel just worked out fine.

Thanks, gang! I decided to choose the .62 caliber. Casting is certainly something I am thinking of taking up especially with how wacky n’ weird the market is now for all things “ammo” including lead.

A fellow boardsman here is going to make one for me :)

I won’t name him in case he doesn’t want me to. Thanks so much guys! I have pined for a smoothie for years and have finally “whittled it down” to what type gun I want. It’ll be a while before I can share it but can’t wait! :D

-Smokey

Back