• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58 percussion pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last I spoke to Mr Hoyt it was $50 plus return shipping. But you will have to check with him on that.

I have two a .54 and a .50. Can’t decide which to send to be opened up. The .50 shoots really well and is cheap on ball and powder. The .54 matches some other rifles and brings the hurt really well when hunting with a .530 ball and 40 grns of 3F.

Wish the GPP came as a flint gun.
Yes and I wish the Harper Ferry .58 came percussion.

Can a .50 be bored to .58 or just the .54.?
If .50 could I'd get a Traditions Trapper and that would solve everything. It'd be in my $ range.
Then I'd sell my ASM Walker and I could back off.

Manufacturers use the same barrel blank, they just cut a smaller hole down the middle for a .50 than they do a .54 or .58.

So a .50 is just as easy to open to .58 as a .54.

That Harper’s Ferry in the classifieds is built on the same barrel they build their .58 smooth on...so there is plenty of meat to open it up.

Not much interest in a percussion Harper’s Ferry...so you might get a good price on it.

If a short round barrel will do, I have a piece of Zouave .58 about 6-7 inches long you can build into a belt pistol. It is the muzzle end left after cutting my Zouave down to 26" artillery style. If I can find it in the shop it's yours for free. It should make a hell of a 'Derringer', LOL! I'll have to look for it this evening, I must take my bride to dialysis today. PS I also have a 3/4 x 16 breechplug somewhere?

Attachments

• Fin3.jpg
    Fin3.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Fin5.jpg
    Fin5.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20160512_175327.jpg
    20160512_175327.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 75
I'd say a .54 Plains pistol is the best compromise, you can still use conicals.

Like was said it wouldn't cost much to get it bored to .58 by a competent gun service with this capability. You can just send them the barrel.

Here is a Hawken pistol by Jud Brennan:

J. Brennan Pistol.JPG

Mr. Brennan is legendary among custom builders. This particular pistol is .69 caliber! For more about it, check Mr. Brennan's website: Jud Brennan Hawken Pistol

I don't know if Mr. Brennan made this pistol for himself or if he sold it. By all accounts, a Hawken pistol is a very complex build, and they are priced accordingly.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I have a British Sea Service Pistol circa 1790 - 1820. With the proper load and a tightly patched ball it is possible to hit the black at 25 yards fairly consistently. All over the black but still in. Hardest part was figuring out where to hold as there are no sights.

Here is a Hawken pistol by Jud Brennan:

View attachment 90083

Mr. Brennan is legendary among custom builders. This particular pistol is .69 caliber! For more about it, check Mr. Brennan's website: Jud Brennan Hawken Pistol

I don't know if Mr. Brennan made this pistol for himself or if he sold it. By all accounts, a Hawken pistol is a very complex build, and they are priced accordingly.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Fine looking pistol.
Way above what I'm looking for though.
Thanks

Back