• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58 percussion pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there a muzzleloader pistol in .58 percussion.
I know about Pedersoli Harper Ferry flintlock .58 and their percussion is in .54.
Anything out there?

I've always kinda wanted one but quality seems hit or miss

Dixie has listed these for probably 20 years

You might as well get an Enfield Musketoon, if you're looking for a short .58 muzzleloader. You can shoot it at short "pistol" range, very nice handling, you can hold it in one hand without putting the butt on the ground ...... but you can reach out and touch at longer ranges too

Last edited:
I have a Dragoon pistol. We used to shoot it at pistol distances using 30 grains of powder and the "not quite perfect" minnies that we were to lazy to throw back into the lead pot. Great fun-especially since accuracy was "challenged" by sub-standard projectiles.

Why not find a .58 barrel, cut it too the desired length and either build or have built a pistol, cost effective no but you get what you are looking for.

I believe that my "Dragoon pistol" was made by Antonio Zoli for Navy Arms (back in the day). We often surmised that they were crafted from .58 rifled "blanks" that wouldn't pass muster for the then Navy Arms Mississippi, Harper's Ferry, etc. It's NOT a work of art (by any means), but interesting none the less.

A Great Plains pistol can be bored to .58 smooth.
I was thinking the same thing. It would be a good match for the OP's Investarms Hawken. The only realistic option that I can think of for a .58 caliber "Hawken" styled single-shot muzzleloading handgun is to get one custom built, which will cost almost as much as a custom rifle. I think if the OP gets a Lyman Plains Pistol and has Mr. Hoyt bore it out, as @brazosland suggested, he will have a good shooter at an economical price.

However, realistically, $675 is not a bad price at all for that M1855 Dragoon pistol. There was a write-up about the originals on which this reproduction is based in a recent issue of The American Rifleman.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
I believe that my "Dragoon pistol" was made by Antonio Zoli for Navy Arms (back in the day). We often surmised that they were crafted from .58 rifled "blanks" that wouldn't pass muster for the then Navy Arms Mississippi, Harper's Ferry, etc. It's NOT a work of art (by any means), but interesting none the less.
I just "looked-up" that pistol on the Dixie website-holy manure, that's rather pricey!

Is there a muzzleloader pistol in .58 percussion.
I know about Pedersoli Harper Ferry flintlock .58 and their percussion is in .54.
Anything out there?
I know if I have patience what I want will fall out of the woodwork.
As an example I always wanted a .58 Hawken. I posted on a Facebook black powder site asking if anyone had a lefty .58 . Maybe 5 to 8 yrs. ago
A guy posted a mint Investarms .58 Flint lefty but wouldn't part w/ it.

I waited yrs.
Never saw another one till the other day on here.
It's on the way to me.
So if I wait, it will come.
Meanwhile back in the jungle....................

Last I spoke to Mr Hoyt it was $50 plus return shipping. But you will have to check with him on that.

I have two a .54 and a .50. Can’t decide which to send to be opened up. The .50 shoots really well and is cheap on ball and powder. The .54 matches some other rifles and brings the hurt really well when hunting with a .530 ball and 40 grns of 3F.

Wish the GPP came as a flint gun.

Back