• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

58 Kibler colonial smoothbore lets see them

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballshooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I would love to see what kind of accuracy with both patch/ball and shot you are getting.
I am getting an itch for a do it all gun. The price is right I would like a lite trade type gun but I am not paying 2k for one.

IMG_20221014_120038_544.jpg
just got mine shooting wasn't a great day with a poor rest and the light changing constantly..... Still had 1.5" or so groups at 25 yards. Front sight will most likely need filed. Only tried 80grs ffg goex and 2 different patches with a .562 ball. Haven't been on here in a few since I seem to really get on a fishing kick to the exclusion of everything else once it gets warm out. I'll certainly be back once I shoot it some more.

View attachment 168677just got mine shooting wasn't a great day with a poor rest and the light changing constantly..... Still had 1.5" or so groups at 25 yards. Front sight will most likely need filed. Only tried 80grs ffg goex and 2 different patches with a .562 ball. Haven't been on here in a few since I seem to really get on a fishing kick to the exclusion of everything else once it gets warm out. I'll certainly be back once I shoot it some more.
Here is mine I love it shoot very good. Is your cherry as well?

Attachments

• 20220822_125334.jpg
    20220822_125334.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
I just used oil as well glad I did.
Thinking 90 grs ffg goex is going to be the ticket. Bottom 3 shots was 80 grs with prb at 50 yards and top 3 we're 90 grs everything else the same. If I remember right it's a .015 ticking with .562 ball and 50/50 beeswax/olive oil with the patch basically just pressed against the lube firmly. The circle is 2 inches.
IMG_20221103_173934_173.jpg

Folks use the word "versatile" all the time. I'm not so sure?
In this senerio, elk hunting with roundball and 100gr 2ffSwiss. Last minute of light, a grouse offers itself for dinner. At 65 yards the hit was good, but not much meat left for the pot! Guess a head-shot was the better option here...lol
The Colonial is capable....But this is accuracy, not versatility.

Jim Kibler sure "raised the bar" with these fine kits.

My 58 Colonial.
20220518_165353.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I did see some weights there but wondered if those were for the other Colonial calibers and that the smoothbore might be a little lighter
If the weight is different I doubt it would be noticeable at all. May even be a smidge heavier if the bore is land diameter and not groove diameter. Pretty sure the.58 is listed at 9 pounds even. My dad was very surprised how light it was. Haven't had the opportunity to put any shot through it yet since I was mostly worried about our gun season at the end of the month. Shot is also a bit expensive and I just haven't felt it was that Important.

My main concern with a smoothie was being able to consistently kill steel at 50 to 75 yards. I probably would not ever use any shot in it. I kinda wanted one because I dont have one currently and I see @B P Maniac Shooter how much fun he has with one shooting all kinds stuff he can find to stuff down the barrel

My main concern with a smoothie was being able to consistently kill steel at 50 to 75 yards. I probably would not ever use any shot in it. I kinda wanted one because I dont have one currently and I see @B P Maniac Shooter how much fun he has with one shooting all kinds stuff he can find to stuff down the barrel
What kind of steel? Pretty sure mine would consistently ring a 6" plate at 75..... I haven't shot it that far yet but I can't see it opening up too much since it will do 2.5" groups at 50 and I haven't really really done any load development..... I'm on my first patch material first lube and second powder charge. Gun season is close here and I didn't want to go wild yet just be ready.

What kind of steel? Pretty sure mine would consistently ring a 6" plate at 75..... I haven't shot it that far yet but I can't see it opening up too much since it will do 2.5" groups at 50 and I haven't really really done any load development..... I'm on my first patch material first lube and second powder charge. Gun season is close here and I didn't want to go wild yet just be ready.
The same for me 6 inch steel plates. The range I shoot at has 12,10,8,6, and 4 hanging at 50. Then there is a turkey at 75. There are some at 100 also that are 12 inch along with a Buffalo.

Back