• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.58 Green Mountain Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

encorepete

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a drop in green mountain barrel for my renegade in .58 caliber. track of the wolf has the 1:70 twist for 139.00 I think. Anywhere else I might get a better price? Anyone have experience with a .58 roundball barrel?? What do you think? Thanks. Pete

I think it would make a mighty big hole in anything you hit with it.
I had a chance to buy a 42 inch 1 inch octagon GM barrel when I started my Southern rifle and I kicked myself in the rear because I went with the .54 cal.
After building it I discovered the loss of .42 pounds would have made it a much easier gun to carry around.

I have a 1" X 32" X 1:70" .58cal Flint barrel on it's way from them for a TC Hawken stock right now but that doesn't answer your caliber specific question.

I can tell you that I've bought and used a .62cal smoothbore drop in Flint barrel from them and it works perfectly...so based on that, and their barrel reputation in general, I fully expect the .58 RB barrel will be fine.

Note: I had to remove the underrib and trim off a 1/4" of it's length as it was a tad too long to drop down in front of the nosecap on my Hawken.
And it also had black thimbles which I had to replace with brass ones to match the Hawken furniture...and it had a black tubular aluminum ramrod with chrome tips which I replaced with one that looked more traditional on the Hawken

I also have a Green Mountain .58 caliber 1:70 twist ordered from Track of the Wolf for my Renegade. I talked to Green Mountain Barrel Co. and they advised that the load for that rifle will be 90-110 grains of powder, a .015 lubed patch and a .570 round ball. I was told that somewhere in that 20 grain area the rifle will smooth out and the group will come in. You just have to shoot it to learn it like any muzzleloader. Also they described its energy like a "sledge hammer." :applause: Mine is supposed to be here at the end of the month. I have all the stuff waiting to stuff down the barrel... ::

Latest posts

Back