• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58 CVA Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m drooling for a .58 or .62 Hawken style rifle. The persona I’m researching is a North West hunter between the Fur trade and Gold Rush. That way I can cover two different events with minimal kit changes :p After shooting a T/C Big Boar in Alaska I have been addicted to the idea and abilities of large bore close in muzzle loaders.
Excellent! Thats what I'm wanting to hear !

I'll never own a range rod,see no point. Thanks for the reply,I suspected it would be 10-32 thread. Now I can order the cleaning gear for it 😁
Then carry a back up "ramrod"! I've been out shootin and had the end come off my ramrod when cleaning between shooting strings. Sure you can shoot a jag out but can you find it? I carry 3 of everything------ unless I forget!

Then carry a back up "ramrod"! I've been out shootin and had the end come off my ramrod when cleaning between shooting strings. Sure you can shoot a jag out but can you find it? I carry 3 of everything------ unless I forget!
Nah.

Picked it up today,very nice,a bit barrel heavy,and somethings not right with the triggers/hammer set up as it will only go to half/full cock when the set trigger is set.

Attachments

• 20220607_173153.jpg
    20220607_173153.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220607_173220.jpg
    20220607_173220.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220607_173245.jpg
    20220607_173245.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220607_173308.jpg
    20220607_173308.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 0
That thing with going to full cock only when triggers set is due to the sear sitting too low compared to the triggers.
Basically the triggers unset are sitting high enough that they bear on the sear holding it out of position so it cannot engage the tumbler.
If you know what you are doing then you already know how to fix it. If not then I suggest you get someone else to fix. Not hard but you dont want to stuff it up

That thing with going to full cock only when triggers set is due to the sear sitting too low compared to the triggers.
Basically the triggers unset are sitting high enough that they bear on the sear holding it out of position so it cannot engage the tumbler.
If you know what you are doing then you already know how to fix it. If not then I suggest you get someone else to fix. Not hard but you dont want to stuff it up
Thank you for the advice,if I remember correctly my other cva was the same when I bought it

The triggers are set into the trigger mortise too deeply. Either the tang bolts have been consistently over tightened pulling the trigger lever ever higher and now when the triggers are not set, the levers are too high and preventing the sear from entering the half cock and full cock notches. Not a hard fix and may be that the spring that drives the set trigger lever is over tightened which also raises the lever. Back that bolt down a turn or two.

Went and shot it today,the pictures tell the story. I'm either going to have to change my sight picture or get a taller front sight,but overall I'm reasonably pleased.

Attachments

• 20220608_093945.jpg
    20220608_093945.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220608_095436.jpg
    20220608_095436.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The triggers are set into the trigger mortise too deeply. Either the tang bolts have been consistently over tightened pulling the trigger lever ever higher and now when the triggers are not set, the levers are too high and preventing the sear from entering the half cock and full cock notches. Not a hard fix and may be that the spring that drives the set trigger lever is over tightened which also raises the lever. Back that bolt down a turn or two.
Tah mate
Forgot about just packing them out.
From memory the CVA Mountain Rifle had this as a known issue.

Picked it up today,very nice,a bit barrel heavy,and somethings not right with the triggers/hammer set up as it will only go to half/full cock when the set trigger is set.
Had the same issue with mine. Fixed it by cutting down a .223 casing to length and fitting over the retaining/Tang screw to lift the trigger set out of its inlet some.

Last edited:
So I'm setting up a shooting bag for the 58,I've got these choices to make the strap out of,the first on the left is extremely wide but thin nylon,second and third are obviously narrower but also thicker cotton,4th is woven jute and quite thin,fifth is good old cotton webbing made thats narrow and thick. I'm favouring the second and last myself. What do you guys think ?

Attachments

• 20220609_130236.jpg
    20220609_130236.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 0
Sorry mate
Honestly none float my boat. Such a nice bag needs a nice strap.
There is a bloke on here that sells nice Tablet woven straps or maybe they are Inkles?
Have you considered making your own strap? Just need thread and a cornflakes box.
Google tablet weaving

Back