• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.58 caliber?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a .58, everything from Elk to Sasquatch tremble in their Fur!!

Attachments

• received_692883841816602.jpeg
    received_692883841816602.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 0
Get two, they're small (well not really, but get two anyways....) I just got my second one to back up my primary hunting rifle. Same barrel, same maker, just in a slightly different format. Just finished lubing and sizing my maxie balls. Waiting on the second rifle to arrive so I can change to the same sights as the first, zero it, confirm the zero on my primary and then package loads into tubes. The elk be awaiting me in two weeks.

Life is good...even more gooder with a big bore.

Last edited:
There's so much variety with .58, you can get a Hawken Style, like T/C Big Boar or a custom.

Also, any of the Enfield Musketoons have 1-48 rifling and are good with round ball or conicals, plus are extremely handy.

Or, go with the old tried and true mile long 3-Banders like a '61 Springfield.

Once you start rolling paper cartridges your life will never be the same. Taking a .58 rifle-musket and a cartridge box full of Minie cartridges , and enjoying an afternoon of shooting them the way it was designed is really something special.

I've used 1f, 3f, and everything in between in my .58's and they more or less shoot the same.

I also love .69 smoothbores for many of the same reasons.

You only go around once, everybody needs a 58 caliber. I've have three ( bought a TC from forum member a couple of weeks ago) no regrets 😉

I’ve never killed an elk with a .58 round ball, but I have killed a bunch of deer with a .50, .54 and .58. The .58 puts down deer with much greater authority IMO than either of the other two.

Back