• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.58 caliber HEAVY conicals???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't speak to that, have never tried it. The "Stake Buster" was a commercial adaptation of the large existing mold then available.

[
I would also point out that when you start all the chest thumping remember that there are people here who have done things that take a hell of a lot more guts than hunting pigs that can't shoot back or shooting some stupidly heavy charge of powder behind an equally silly weight of lead.

Dan[/quote]
:hatsoff:

There are some pigs that I would not hunt with a one shooter and no backup. Even blkpowder50's 700 grain .58 (or a 10 bore RB) doesn't seem excessive for this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2050144/Now-thats-hog-roast-Hunter-kills-800lb-wild-pig-crossbow.html

The biggest "Russian"/feral "cross" that I personally know of was taken by a deer hunter at Ft Polk, LA in the late 1980s, using a 12 gauge shotgun. - The hunter said that the range was less than 20 long steps from his tree-stand.
(I think that it was during the 1988 WT season, but I'm NOT sure.)

He weighed >675 pounds "field-dressed" & had tusks that extended about 6" beyond the jawline. - A photo of the hog/hunter was in THE FORT POLK GUARDIAN newspaper.

yours, satx

No, bears, black or brown ain't nothing like pigs in behavior that I've ever seen.
I raised the former and have lived around and hunted the later for 43 years.
My dad used to say, "there ain't nothin a hog can't life if he can get his nose under it"!
And a hog is a slow poke compared to a bear in a hurry!

GoodCheer said:
:) And before going after biggie piggies with a one-shooter practice, practice, practice!
Truer words was never spoke!! And don't believe the old line about "if he doesn't go down, stand still...he won't know where you are!" It's a lie, I tell you...a lie!! If it weren't for dogs distracting ole Oinker and a fallen tree I could jump over and he had to go around, I'd look like Long John Silver now! You have no idea how hard it is to reload and jump across a fallen tree trunk while the guide's half way up another tree laughing his merry butt off!
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/peg-leg-pirate-cartoon-illustration-funny-officer-31543107.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you really that scared of recoil?? Not everybody is small or whatever.I actually workout and can touch off a heck of a lot more than that without being hurt.please save the silly comments.

Just because I can take recoil doesn't make me any more of a man. It seems you are self conscious or something. Just because you don't do it don't hate and you can speak for yourself without trying to get everybody to cosign for you. I asked a question for good advice not bs.

You dont impress me bud.I doubt you are one of those men because you don't know a thing about what I've done and just because you don't do something doesn't make the people that do enjoy those things stupid or silly. You seem a bit pompous for someone behind a screen. Remember when someone asks a question here its because they want help in pursuing what they enjoy.theeres not enough powder or lead that could kick me enough to even come close to what Ive fired that if done a lot could possibly cause vision problems. Chuck Hawks the famous gunwriter spoke highly of a .58 muzzleloader with a 600 grain bullet and I suppose you think yourself a better man than he? I think the stupid thing here is to put down others joys because you don't like it yourself.

To all the people that were respectful of the reason for this forum and provided your input like you would man to man I sincerely appreciate it and I found some 600 grain maxis at TRACK OF THE WOLF(they must be idiots too) and had some custom cast at 735 grains and shoot well out to about 100 yards on top of 80 grains of triple7. And for all the ppl that offered only closed minded negative bs that's not why people come here. People come here to learn. Again thanks to those normal people who answered without a chip on their shoulder or whatever.

Enjoy it while you're young.

Just be aware that as your body ages, it's reaction to recoil is going to change. Not a manhood issue, rather a fact of human biology. Detached retinas, joint damage, worsening of old injuries are all out there waiting.

Ever notice that all the classic gun writers shifted from big game hunting to bird hunting as they aged? No one is questioning your manhood here, but you're dealing with a bunch of geezers like me here on the site. I think most of us geezers can see our former selves in your youth, enthusiasm and manliness, but we also know full well what comes next.

You're well on your way to wisdom, Grasshopper. Enjoy this phase of your life, and prepare yourself to pass along your wisdom to the crop of grasshoppers coming up behind you.

Not all big men handle recoil well. On the other hand, some skinny guys handle recoil very well. i own a 6.5 pound rifle in .450 Alaskan and have no problem with the recoil. The gun has stayed in the safe for years because i don't want a detached retina to end my hunting.

My .50 and .54 caliber New Englanders and patched round balls have accounted for numerous wild hogs: A few went over 350 pounds: They died pretty quick just like the smaller ones did.

Hm. Well. Is 58 cal recoil that much greater than 54 cal? I've been getting acquainted with a 54 cal T/C Hawken and Maxi-Hunters. Some posters on other threads on the forum refer to it and it's recoil, but even with 90 grain charges, it is nowhere close to a Marlin 1895G with max loads, and that is fun...to me, anyway. Are heavy 58s that serious that we're expecting detached retinas? Can't imagine it, but, someone draw me a comparison and I'll try to put it into perspective. The Big Guns are fun, either way. 50 cal almost seems puny now.

There are lots of load examples and comparisons back through the 8 pages of this thread. No discussion of modern cartridges is allowed here on the site, but it sneaks in here and there. Living in Alaska with big bears and moose for the last 40 years, I have my share (more than, my wife sezz) of "elephant" guns that put your modern lever into the far rear mirror for recoil, based on my own shooting of my own modern lever with max loads.

A 700+ grain 58 caliber bullet on top of 140 grains of black powder in a muzzleloader of just about exactly that same weight is in a whole nuther league. Track down one of the recoil calculators in the back of a good reloading manual and enter the numbers yourself for gun weight, powder weight, bullet weight and MV.

Nuff sed about modern guns and loads for me. If still in doubt, track down some 700+ grain 58 cal bullets and an 8# muzzleloader and crack it off.

For a good explanation of recoil and its quantification, let me refer you to a book entitled "Understanding Firearm Ballistics" by Robert A. Rinker. Mr. Rinker keeps this otherwise rather complicated subject at a level that can be understood by the average person who has a grasp of algebra, He does not go into the complicated calculus found in many ballistics books. In chapter 6, Mr. Rinker discusses the subject of recoil and its many aspects including some tables for various handguns, rifles and shotguns. I think you will find it most interesting.

Back