• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.58 caliber HEAVY conicals???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkpowder50

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i recently goty a .58 Morse rifle by Navy Arms and it seems stout, I would like to use conicals heavier than the 460s it uses now. With 110-1209- grains pyrodex, it doesnt recoil much. Id like to use 700+ grain boolits in it,

Does anyone know who sells heavy .58 conicals? It uses .574-.577 best, without tremendous effort.

thanks

blkpowder50 said:
i recently goty a .58 Morse rifle by Navy Arms and it seems stout, I would like to use conicals heavier than the 460s it uses now. With 110-1209- grains pyrodex, it doesnt recoil much. Id like to use 700+ grain boolits in it,

Does anyone know who sells heavy .58 conicals? It uses .574-.577 best, without tremendous effort.

thanks

Shooting that 700gr bullet with your 1209gr charge might alter your opinion somewhat. :surrender:

tac

Sounds like the sure path to a subacromial decompression and perhaps a supra spinatus ligament reattachment. Your ortho surgeon will get a few car payments out of your insurance company. Better make sure you are not diabetic or otherwise prone to detached retinas before the range session.

A guy that used to live out in our neck of the woods got all cranked up when Lyman quit making their Great Plains bullet in 58 caliber. So he went to the trouble and expense of having a mold made for a flat point version, increasing the weight to approximately 750 grains while he was at it.

He gave me 50 to try out, and I dutifully shot them up over an array of powders and charges in a TC Big Boar. Geezopete.... I've never been so happy for an experiment to end. :surrender: They weren't bad over 80 grains of 2f, but the trajectory was so loopy I started moving up the scale. Sure knew I'd popped a cap when using 100 grains. At 120 I was well past my recoil tolerances, even if the trajectory was still pretty loopy.

He was sure proud of those things, dragging them out to show the many 58 caliber shooters in our neighborhood and offering samples. I don't recall anyone ever taking more than one, and that to use as a paperweight or bench decoration. :wink:

I also don't recall ever seeing that guy shoot one. :rotf:

Far as I can confirm, I'm the only one ever shot any. And I ain't doing it again. :youcrazy:

blkpowder50 said:

thanks

Why in the H*** would you want to do this? We don't have any Mammoths or Sabre tooth tigers to hunt anymore. Let me give you my real name and let me have power of Attorney so I can pull the plug when your brain stem detaches from your spinal column.

its obviously a typographical error. it meant 110-120 grains of pyrodex and a 460 grain minie just doesnt do the trick for me. id like a heavier bullet and i found one in a South African shop online.

really?? i find a .375 H&H very maneagable in fast paced shooting, and a .458 mag slightly less so. And a .58ML with a 460 grain bullet and 120 grains of powder is very manageable to me.Everybody is different.

armakiller said:
blkpowder50 said:

thanks

Why in the H*** would you want to do this? We don't have any Mammoths or Sabre tooth tigers to hunt anymore. Let me give you my real name and let me have power of Attorney so I can pull the plug when your brain stem detaches from your spinal column.

Just because recoil severely affects you doesnt mean it affects everyone the same way.I am actually a fair sized guy that works out regularly and has developed muscle. I find a .375H&H very manageable. So my recoil tolerance is past most Americansd who are brainwashed into thinking the .30 caliber is where rifles stop, and that if it aint in a sabot, they dont put it in their muzzleloader. And to answer your question, i want to do it because ITS WHAT I LIKE.

blkpowder50 said:
some people can handle more recoil than others. i am glad you alluded to that.

Won't talk about them here, but I've been shooting large caliber modern cartridges (Elephant guns some folks call them, but up here they're "bear" guns) for over 40 years. Only one of those ever gave me double vision, and that after three fast shots.

I got double vision every single time I popped the 120 grain charge under those 750 grain conicals. The Big Boar might be lighter than your gun, but you're welcome to the heavier charges, whatever you shoot.

BrownBear said:
A guy that used to live out in our neck of the woods got all cranked up when Lyman quit making their Great Plains bullet in 58 caliber. So he went to the trouble and expense of having a mold made for a flat point version, increasing the weight to approximately 750 grains while he was at it.

He gave me 50 to try out, and I dutifully shot them up over an array of powders and charges in a TC Big Boar. Geezopete.... I've never been so happy for an experiment to end. :surrender: They weren't bad over 80 grains of 2f, but the trajectory was so loopy I started moving up the scale. Sure knew I'd popped a cap when using 100 grains. At 120 I was well past my recoil tolerances, even if the trajectory was still pretty loopy.

He was sure proud of those things, dragging them out to show the many 58 caliber shooters in our neighborhood and offering samples. I don't recall anyone ever taking more than one, and that to use as a paperweight or bench decoration. :wink:

I also don't recall ever seeing that guy shoot one. :rotf:

Far as I can confirm, I'm the only one ever shot any. And I ain't doing it again. :youcrazy:

hey, my recoil tolerance is high. i think a .375 Mag is on the milder side. I like heavy bullets and im big enough to take the recoil. I have an 8 bore muzzleloader that uses 1500 grain conicals, and id say its a good thing its a muzzleloader so you can take a sec between shots. But hey, brownbear...at least you had the cajones to shoot that .58. I get a kick out of people that think just because recoil hurts them, it must hurt everybody the same. Thank for the info about the mold.i just like heavy bullets!

BrownBear said:
blkpowder50 said:
some people can handle more recoil than others. i am glad you alluded to that.

Won't talk about them here, but I've been shooting large caliber modern cartridges (Elephant guns some folks call them, but up here they're "bear" guns) for over 40 years. Only one of those ever gave me double vision, and that after three fast shots.

I got double vision every single time I popped the 120 grain charge under those 750 grain conicals. The Big Boar might be lighter than your gun, but you're welcome to the heavier charges, whatever you shoot.

thanks for the understanding

tenngun said:
I think Lyman offer a 6 or 650...you might need custom to get a 700.... Going after naghas or sperm whales are ya?

thanks for the info about Lyman.650 would be better. No, no sperm whales, but i am just a fan of heavier bullets.Its my thing. I appreciate your useful info.

azmntman said:
I shot my .58 with 120 grains with a hornady (510?) grain great plains.....once :shocked2: . Lemme know when yer gonna test fire, I will stay inside.

thats nothing. i'll let you know when i bust off the 8 bore with 300 grains powder and a 1500 grain conical.then you can stay inside.

tac said:
blkpowder50 said:

thanks

Shooting that 700gr bullet with your 1209gr charge might alter your opinion somewhat. :surrender:

tac

barrels only 26 inches long dont know if i could fit that much pyro AND a 700 grain conical and have enough barrel left for accuracy.

zimmerstutzen said:
Sounds like the sure path to a subacromial decompression and perhaps a supra spinatus ligament reattachment. Your ortho surgeon will get a few car payments out of your insurance company. Better make sure you are not diabetic or otherwise prone to detached retinas before the range session.

i'll be ok i actually have intentionally developed muscles that allow me to tolerate recoil and shoot things for fun that you and plenty others would probably not touch for fear that it might kick. Please dont assume that just because you are recoil shy or cant handle recoil that everyone is like you. It takes a man to shoot a mans gun.Thanks though ill try not to let any of that happen.

Spoken like a man!

Speaking of a "real man", I once worked with a guy who was a "body builder". Hours spent each night after work working out with weights. Not an ounce of fat anywhere on his body.

His body showed it too. He had muscles on his muscles. Skin tight ripples moved under his shirt when he moved.

He could curl and lift weights for hours at a time. We are talking about pressing 400+ pounds for hours on end here.
Now, there was a man!

Then, his body got tired of that manure.

He developed tendonitis in both arms. :shocked2:

He was doing good to be able to pick up a pencil without gritting his teeth.

I mention this only because I would hate to see someone end up with blurred or no vision just because he enjoyed "being a man" among all of us lesser men.

Back