• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58 caliber compression projectiles info wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jturman

32 Cal
Reaction score
58 caliber compression bullet. This bullet was designed by Greg Edington . He was attempting to develop a compression bullet mainly for use in Civil War style shoulder arms. The bullet does not have a hollow base and compresses on firing, much like the compression bullet used in the Austrian Lorenz rifles of the period. This mold was part of order from Greg to the Lee bullet mold company. The bullet size is about .575. I measure .580 on the grease groove when checked it. I copy and pasted this info of what I found on mold...
anyone shoot these?
Favorite powder charge?
Any thing cool or interesting to tell about these bullets?
Thank you

Attachments

• 20220421_205301.jpg
    20220421_205301.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 89
It's called a Wilkinson bullet and there are a number of N-SSA competitors that shoot them. I experimented with them and didn't get the results that some others have in their guns so I passed on getting this mold.

I have a mold for those made by Moose. They shoot quite well in my P-H '61 and Miroku Springfield. 60gr 2f seems to be a good charge. Granted, I am not a skirmisher, and they may not work well at the lower charges those guys use.

Thanks
It's called a Wilkinson bullet and there are a number of N-SSA competitors that shoot them. I experimented with them and didn't get the results that some others have in their guns so I passed on getting this mold.

Thank you I will try 60 grains see how it does
I have a mold for those made by Moose. They shoot quite well in my P-H '61 and Miroku Springfield. 60gr 2f seems to be a good charge. Granted, I am not a skirmisher, and they may not work well at the lower charges those guys use.

Got a plain base plug to use with various Lyman minie molds.
Hoping I can get them to work with higher powder charges.

Neat, I would like to try a few of them in my 58. It only gets a group to shrink with a PRB when I hit 90-100 gr. A 60 gr. load that would pattern well would be a lot more fun to shoot...

Neat, I would like to try a few of them in my 58. It only gets a group to shrink with a PRB when I hit 90-100 gr. A 60 gr. load that would pattern well would be a lot more fun to shoot...

What kind of 58cal and what type bullet? I get 2-3moa out of my muskets with just 43g 3f Swiss. If your gun isn't designed for minies, this bullet may not work either

Yes it would be more fun

I have a 1841,couple 1863s,buffalo hunter,
What kind of 58cal and what type bullet? I get 2-3moa out of my muskets with just 43g 3f Swiss. If your gun isn't designed for minies, this bullet may not work either

Yeah I seen that when I was searching only lube the tiny groove at the bottom..I seen post guy said they are garbage and had a pic of the bullet with compression groove filled with a thick lube
A former neighbor swore by it in his gun. Do not fill the groove with lube as it will inhibit the compression that makes the bullet work.

Back