• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58 cal. smoothbore questions.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Beck

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am new to smoothbore shooting and I was wondering what size round ball/patch I should use in a 58 caliber smoothie? any good loads you could recommend for both round ball and shot?
Thanks!
Jacob

any ball .555-.575 with whatever patch of appropriate thickness that works best for a snug fit will work

as for powder....you will have to do some experimenting
start with say 80 grains of 3f or 90 grains of 2f for that gun would be my starting point and workup

my guess off hand is that gun is going to want about 95-110 grains of 2f to work best, but that range may be a little much or not enough. You will have to figure out that load yourself.

May want to start lower than 80. My 56 likes 70gr. real well with shot, and shoots best with 70, or 80. They shoot the same. Every barrel is different. I have used .53, .535, and .562 in my .56 and the .535 shoots the best whether with patch or just with a wad. Patched it shoots as good as I can off hand at 50yds. For the .58 I think I would try a .562, .570, and .575 and see how they do. You will need some different thickness of patch material. Shot I would use about an ounce, over powder wad, the shot, and another wad. My wads are wool felt. Have fun playing with it, just pay attention to what you are loading so you can replicate loads that work the best!

I shot a trade gun for years in .58 caliber. My best load was always a .570 rb using 70 gr. 3f and a 015 patch.

Back