• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58 cal. slow twist barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. I have comparisons in my post a few up from yours.

My other slow twist 58 is a GRRW Hawken. Can't recall the zact twist rate or find my notes at the moment, but it's in the 70's. GRRW barrels are a special case because they're "choked," the bore tapered smaller toward the muzzle. A .575 ball won't even drop into the bore and a .570 ball will hang on the slightest irregularity. I've ended up shooting .562 balls with ticking patches. In spite of being undersize at the breech end and tight at the muzzle, mine lives up to the GRRW reputation for sterling accuracy. It's my most accurate muzzleloader by quite a bit, but it needs lots of geewhiz behind it to get there. It's favorite load so far is 140 grains of 2f, and it might do even better if I pushed it up further. My shoulder told me to stop right there, though. Down at 100 grains it is no more accurate than my two Big Boars or my GM 1:72 drop-in barrel.

Never shot a .58. But, my .54 has a 1:72" twist and requires way north of 100 grains to begin to group properly. It is not a light rifle (Jaeger, probably over 10 lbs.) but those charges still give painful recoil making not a fun gun to shoot.

thanks guys. that means I can go slower than 1in 60 to be able to use 100 plus charge. and be accurate for hog hunting.

I'm projecting, but I have to guess your ranges are pretty short- 50 yards or so? If that's the case I'd snort it up till it makes your eyes blur if you want. Have some fun!

I have an english flint sporting rifle with a 1:96 twist. It is a Getz barrel made in the late 90's. It needs a target load of 100 gr 2f for best performance of the ball and a hunting load of 130-150 gr 2f.

thats the results I am looking for. will see what the slowest twist the barrel maker can rebore and rifle the barrel.

GoodCheer said:
Who shoots round ball in their six foot twist musket?

One of my hunting pards has a 58 cal musket of some sort. Dunno the muskets well at all. But I do know that his is deadly accurate. Early on round balls seemed almost futile, he had so much trouble with it. But then he went really tight on the patch in light of the very shallow rifling. That helped. Then he really snorted up the load.

Best I recall he's using 120 grains of 2f. I know he's using .575 balls because I cast them for him. Don't recall his patching, but I sewed a loop onto the strap of his bag for carrying a mallet, if that tells you anything.

Rifleman1776 said:
My .54 Jaeger has a 1:72" twist. Way too slow.

My .54 GM. Barrel is 32" long w 1:70 Twist iirc. It starts shooting well w .535 ball and denim patch over 90 gr FFg. Really likes 120 gr
TC

Might want to ask who shoots RB's in their Zoli Zouave. I understand they are 1:72 and .570's reportedly work well. I have a box I bought for mine but have yet to try them.

40 Flint said:
Rifleman1776 said:
My .54 Jaeger has a 1:72" twist. Way too slow.

My .54 GM. Barrel is 32" long w 1:70 Twist iirc. It starts shooting well w .535 ball and denim patch over 90 gr FFg. Really likes 120 gr
TC

Those are shoulder buster loads for me. I prefer lighter loads that shoot accurately and still bring home the bacon.

58 caliber Whitacre barrel 1 in 72. I'm using 45 grains of 3f and a 500 grain minie. Shoot's great!

P2190337_zps932dlpd9.jpg

Rice- Early colonial swamped 42" 58 cal 1-70 twist

110 gr ff Goex- tight mink oil patch .570 282 gr round ball.

round radius rifled. in flint= 1.5 inches @ 85 yards.

1570 fps @ muzzle 1150 fps @ poi at 85 yards.

Latest posts

Back