• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.58 cal Early gun build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juniata

40 Cal
Reaction score
Well if you followed any of my threads the .45 I built this past year sure was a fine hunting gun this season.
I wanted to build a bigger caliber rifle anyhow, but want sure what style.
Recently handled a friend's Christain Springs rifle, with a few different characteristics to it than the norm. I thought I was set on a Beck but that step wrist Christain Springs felt more at home when I shouldered it.
So yesterday I ordered a Rice C weight .58 caliber York Golden Age profile barrel 42" long.
That's the largest caliber that C weight can be made in. It'll be light.
This will be my hunting gun, the .45 is cheaper to shoot so it'll be more for woods walks and an paper, all around shooting.
I thought I might as well start a post with a few pictures as I build this gun. I'll start by posting what parts I got already.
Going to trim it in steel. Also going with Virginia butt plate and trigger guard just because I like em!
Just picked up my stock,

Last edited:
A few pieces of the hardware
PXL_20220103_194435695.PORTRAIT.jpg

Juniata I will be following along as I Am curious how the figure in that wood will turn out.
Christian's Spring was an interesting place and they taught all kinds of trades sort of like an apprentice school for everything from cordwaining to weaving.
The Moravian settlement of Christiansbrunn (or Christian’s Spring), located two miles west of Nazareth, PA, was established in 1749 as a farming community with a sawmill. For a generation, most single men in the Upper Places lived at Christiansbrunn, while married couples resided at Nazareth and Gnadenthal. (A few married couples and families also resided at Christiansbrunn.) In 1757 Moravian authorities began to send young boys to Christiansbrunn to learn trades such as tailor, shoemaker, and scribe. In 1795, Moravian authories disbanded this community of single men and settled only married couples there to work as farmers.

I mentioned a ketland to the guy helping gather parts, and they said to go with the large siler.

If you are planning to be period correct, brass would be more appropriate. Not playing PC police here, jus throwing in my .02 cents worth.

Alrighty, changed everything.
Wood didn't work on out it didn't have enough tor...
I bought Allen Martin's trigger guard and but plate at the Lewisburg show in February.
Obviously, brass.

Last minute here I wanted the Germanic lock so Allen suggested I use the RE Davis Colonial.

Ready to start this now

Attachments

• PXL_20220624_153027323.jpg
    PXL_20220624_153027323.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 0
I never added to this thread but I just completed the rifle.

It was a fun build. I started it late June and just finished it yesterday.

Hers some pics

Back