• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58 cal 3-groove

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked up a 58 (.577") oct blank (NOS) that had an interesting bore.
Anyone know of a relatively modern ML repo that utilized a 3-groove bore? land/groove widths are equal distance.

That type of bore is what's used for all the .58 rifled muskets. The shallow grooved bore with 3 each equal land and groove width is what was chosen for the Minie balls used in the U.S. military guns from the mid 1850's. Wasn't aware that barrel blanks were available for it but I suppose there's a market for them. Basically, it's designed for the Minie or Maxi conical bullets.

Thanks
Forgot to mention it's a straight Oct. 1-1/8" across the flats and the twist of 1:48.

1-48" twist is typical for the rifled muskets. Just wasn't familiar with a straight octagon version available. Would make an excellent rhino stopper! :wink: :haha:

The three groove barrels were most often seen in military muskets.

An important detail with respect to your situation is what is the depth of the groove? Shallow depth of up to 0.006" will be good for minie balls. A groove depth of 0.010" or more will be a better match for round ball use.

Minie balls may not expand enough to fill the grooves as well as a lubricated patch.

That barrel can and does shoot round ball very well with a tight fitting patch.
If you want to shoot minie bullets through it, the minies should be sized .001" under size for best results. Loads greater than 70 grains will blow out the skirts on a minie ball.
To stay at the range for a longer time shooting, you should damp swab between shots.
If not the bore will crud up, giving poor accuracy, and greater difficulty in loading.
You have a good start on a plains rifle should you wish. You can hunt ground hogs( if you hunt ground hogs, if you miss, you make a great NEW hog hole) to T-Rex with that puppy.
Not many appreciate this type of barrel, but they do shoot very well.
Fred

I have a heavy barreled Navy Arms Hawken Hunter with the wide three groove rifling. Very accurate rifle with a maxi conical.
I think it is the same rifling that is in the Zooave and Buffalo Hunter rifles. I've owned,shot and sold one of each of those models as well.

Given the thickness of the barrel, one can assume it's intended for heavy charges, which do not work well with hollow base mines. I suspect that it's intended for some sort of solid base conical, especially with the 1/48 twist.

Ceresafe casting of the bore shows single rifling depth of 0.005".
Bore between 0.577" & 0.578" pin gauge.
0.577/0.587 land/groove

MD - is your 58 a straight Octagon of 1-1/8"?

MD. I believe you hit the nail on the head..
Looked up what you referenced and found info on the Hunter, but not much on the Hurricane? Do you know the difference?

Also read an article about the 58 Hunter was pet project for Val Forget. He took it to Africa and killed Elephant, Hippo, Cape Buffalo and much more with it..
Thanks

They're basically the same gun...Hunter is .58 while the Hurricane was in .45 and .50. Their selling point was the big charges they were proofed to handle. The Hurricane in .50 could stand 120 grains of FFg. While this is OK on the surface, you could get the same velocity with about 70 grains in the 30" barrel of the Browning Mountain Rifle. The Hunter's ability to take the heaviest Minie or Maxi designs over heavy powder charges was where it really shined. Not sure how necessary that ability helps in North America, unless something brown and grizzly smelling was stalking you in a thicket! :shocked2:

Maybe it was a blank made for navy Arms Hawken Hunter then...that would be interesting. They were listed as 1" across the flats but anything's possible! :wink:

Thank you, I do believe this is a NA Hunter barrel.
I have no intentions of shooting such heavy loads, so I may take it down (taper) a little to lighten it - the barrel itself wights 5.5 pounds.

Back