• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58/24 buckshot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapPopper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Doing some math I don't believe I can stack 4 #4 buck in a layer (come out to right at .600 across) kind of at a loss to figure up what size for three in a layer and since I couldn't find any info using the search I thought I'd ask.... What is the optimal size buckshot for the .58?will predominantly be used for close range moving coyotes. Was wanting to use buck cause I can buy a mold and I don't see any F shot molds (4 in a layer would only be .55) and thought I'd come here to evaluate my options on coyote shot loads. Went with a smoothbore .58 cause kibler didn't offer anything bigger and I figured this way I can use it for anything I want. Any experience in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks on advance!

Has it got to be four in a layer?
No but I can do the math on 4 in a layer lol 3 would be fine but I'm not sure on that math. The coyotes here get pretty big 50-60 pounds is not unusual. I also feel like 2 in a layer may not perform as good as it could.

Screenshot_20220114-203711.jpg

Any use?

I believe so. I came out with #4 being over .6 across though.... My math can most certainly be wrong though. Is that a chart someone made or some program? And is this saying that #4 is .517 across or .579? I won't know exact bore diameter until I actually have the gun.
It is a little puzzling, the diagram.
I did a Google search for it.
https://images.app.goo.gl/JTBwQ9svSNYc9PBr7

It is a little puzzling, the diagram.
I did a Google search for it.
https://images.app.goo.gl/JTBwQ9svSNYc9PBr7
Thats how the diagram looks..... I reckon I can always start a card and see if .243 bullets will sit in there in a quantity of 4. Should be close enough to know before I start spending money. Though I have been wondering since ranges will probably be under 30 (unlike what they do with modern guns) if something like BB or T shot with more pellets would perform better..... But by my math it seems the gap in the middle of the 4 pellets adds about a half a pellet diameter to the whole thing. Then I set them down and measured them with my mics and came out really close to what my math told me.... You would think there would be a solid mathematical equation available to figure this out but I can't find one..... Everything about sphere packing I can find is based on volume vs density and though that will tell me how many will fit on an area it doesn't really help on size of the spheres.

Thats how the diagram looks..... I reckon I can always start a card and see if .243 bullets will sit in there in a quantity of 4. Should be close enough to know before I start spending money. Though I have been wondering since ranges will probably be under 30 (unlike what they do with modern guns) if something like BB or T shot with more pellets would perform better..... But by my math it seems the gap in the middle of the 4 pellets adds about a half a pellet diameter to the whole thing. Then I set them down and measured them with my mics and came out really close to what my math told me.... You would think there would be a solid mathematical equation available to figure this out but I can't find one..... Everything about sphere packing I can find is based on volume vs density and though that will tell me how many will fit on an area it doesn't really help on size of the spheres.
Even if four don't sit perfectly flat but nearly, they will when gravity increases violently!

Actually yes once I figured out what to do with the numbers. Looks like it's a constant regardless of what the ball size is and also accurately corresponds to the diagram you posted. So as long as the bore on a smootbore kibler .58 actually measures .58 it looks like #4 buck will fit 4 in a layer, But only just .579 is very close to .58. may be worth dropping down one size but if they fit I reckon like you said they certainly will once the gravity rapidly increases lol thank you very much for the link I spent 40 minutes looking the other day and never came across that one.

Latest posts

Back