• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

577 wads - your thoughts please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bisleyjohn

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I make my own pistol wads and during lock-downs I have probably made about two years supply for about fifteen quid.
My thoughts turned to my PH Enfield and ways of making life better.
I have amost, i think, found the right sized bulet but, in resizing, most of the lube is removed. Woke this morning and (almost);) the first thing on my mind was 'Wonder if lubed wads would be useful in my musket.

Your thoughts, ideas, experiences would be most welcome please., before I buy nother square of felt and probably waste my time.

Last edited:
I’ve no experience in using them, but would see using a lubed wad as a hinderance to expansion of the bullet, and having the potential to become wedged in the base cavity. Be interesting to see if others have tried and what wad was used. Is there an issue you are seeking to address, or a more general ‘what else can I do to improve accuracy’? I use a grooved bullet, dip lube, and push through a sizing die. I don’t put any lube in the base cavity.

David

David,

Thank you, possible wad staying in the base problem was what prompted the post.

My best results so far with the lee ph mould bullet, dip lubed and sized down to .565. I fiddle with a lathe and have made a couple of jigs to use on my Wamadet press. This of course takes out most of the lube grooves but seems to leave enough lube to prevent fouling (up to about 25 shots which is about the longest string I’ve fired thus far)

still learning.......🤔

In spite of the fact that I've already filled the grooves with a suitable potion - in my case, a 60/40 mix of beeswax and neatsfoot oil, I still slather the bullet with E45 as I prepare to load it.

For those folks unfamiliar with it, it is a dermatologial cream, much used medically. Because it is an emulsion, it not only acts as a lubricant, but also washes away with great ease, taking much of the shooting crud with it. It's other redeeming feature, AFAIAC, is that it is cheap, unlike Bore-Butter, which, over here in UK, costs like it was hand-made by nymphs from the milk of the cows of Zeus.

1611229283847.png

PS - it keeps your hands nice and soft, too. :)

I have bucket-loads of E45 as I suffer from dry skin. I 'juice my legs' most days.Thanks for the tip I'll take a tub if I ever get to the range again?

I have bucket-loads of E45 as I suffer from dry skin. I 'juice my legs' most days.Thanks for the tip I'll take a tub if I ever get to the range again?

I have a HUGE tub, bought many years syne, and a much smaller version that goes in my handgun shooting box - it's about four inches high and three inches in diameter, however, looking at the advertisement, a choob looks like a better idea.

I make my own pistol wads and during lock-downs I have probably made about two years supply for about fifteen quid.
My thoughts turned to my PH Enfield and ways of making life better.
I have amost, i think, found the right sized bulet but, in resizing, most of the lube is removed. Woke this morning and (almost);) the first thing on my mind was 'Wonder if lubed wads would be useful in my musket.

Your thoughts, ideas, experiences would be most welcome please., before I buy nother square of felt and probably waste my time.
I use them but I load the wads dry with lube on the bullet only, using a wad one size larger than the bore. 45 in a 40, 50 in a 45, etc. I’m also using much less lube than previously. A friend showed me on paper how much lube is still being shed at 100 yards and beyond. That’s not going to be good for accuracy.

Wads+minies? Go ahead and try. But don't expect much accuracy or consistency.

Far better to try different lubes. I found standard Crisco lacking. I suspect the cream you used is heavy in lanolin, a common lube ingredient

It does contain water which will help keep the fouling soft but may not offer long term protection for the barrel.
I suffer with terrible psoriasis on my legs. E45 makes it worse! I use astral and often wonder how it would fair in a muzzleloader....and it smells better 🤣

Back