• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.57 balls in a 20 guage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was playing arround with patch and balls still trying to decide what caliber smoothbore I want. I found out a .57 ball with .020 pillow ticking fits snug in a 20 guage barrel. If I do that am I going to shoot just as well as a 24 guage with the same ball and thinner patch, or no patch and cushon wad and overshot card method? Same with 24 guage patch and .54 balls?

You won't know until you try. In my experience, a smaller ball with a thick patch seems to work better in a smoothbore, than visa-versa.

My Bess shoots .690" balls with a denim patch well...it is 11 gauge or .75". If I "chew" them with a rasp, and use a .020" patch, they "seem" to shoot better, but I cannot deny or confirm that yet, need to do some more shooting.

I have shot .570" balls in my .62" rifle, which I think is closer to .61", with .570" balls and a denim patch. not as accurate as .600" balls and thinner patch, my usual load, but actually good enough for hunting at 100 yards or less. But again, that's a rifle and a different animal for sure.

I've tried .590" ball with a thick patch in my 20 and it seemed pretty accurate in that gun.

Back