• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

56 smoothie load recommendations (shot)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was searching on the internet and someone suggested using a 9/16 gasket punch to make wads out of paper egg cartons. Does anyone have an idea on this? Thanks for helping this noob out.

edmelott,

It is always better to actually read from the manufacturers documentation, than rely on opinions of people that know less than you do.

I am just passing information along. Like was given too me over 45 years ago.

Have fun, and enjoy yourself.

Oh, and the lead balls needed are .550 dia, with a .010 patch.

People will tell you to use a .54 dia ball and a thick patch. It can be done, but not as accurate as what the rifle was made for.

Regards,

Bill

Unfortunately, the manufacturer only gives ONE load for the 56 cal with shot. That's not much to choose from, and that load is using 33% more powder than shot, by volume.
What I provided was not opinion, but data from a established publication, which gave 3 loads to test to see which performs best.

Eterry stated: "Unfortunately, the manufacturer only gives ONE load for the 56 cal with shot. That's not much to choose from"

Again, try reading the booklet I posted.

The manufacturer wrote the "Maximum of 80 grains" Black. (You know the part where they stated max load is in RED).

Dealing with you internet experts is just way too much.

So, I will step aside and allow you internet Guru's to just continue to bloviate, and stroke each other silly.:thumbs up:

Eterry stated: "Unfortunately, the manufacturer only gives ONE load for the 56 cal with shot. That's not much to choose from"

The manufacturer wrote the "Maximum of 80 grains" Black. (You know the part where they stated max load is in RED).

So, I will step aside and allow you internet Guru's to just continue to bloviate, and stroke each other silly.:thumbs up:
So, what your saying (and what I'm seeing on page 77) is, TC says a 7/8 ounce of shot over 80 grains of 2Fg powder is the maximum load. Anything less than these amounts is OK.

That's fine as far as it goes but it doesn't really answer the question, "What is a good shot load to shoot in a .56 caliber smoothbore TC ?).

LD, not to muddy the waters...but my data...and what Claude has here, shows a 60 grs measure of shot to weigh 7/8 oz, a 50 gr charge of shot would weigh 3/4 oz.

Edmelott...using your powder measure at the same setting for shot and powder is what's known as a "Square Load". I have no experience in a 28 gauge, but I would assume 3f would work. You may try both see which patterns best.
I remember the chart by using 70 grains as the base; it is 1 0z of shot, and every 10 grains up or down changes shot charge 1/8 of an oz., ie 90 gr setting= 1 1/4 oz. There is a chart in the reference section of this site.

Probably true if your store-bought measure, measures accurately. If you recall one of our members checked several and found all but the TC clear plastic were inaccurate.

Still, the standard load (of course it was for ammo intended for chokes) was 2.25 dram and 3/4 ounce... for 28 gauge.

LD

Last edited:
So are you saying, 60 gr. measure for powder and shot? Also 2f or 3f?

I'd do 2Fg if it was me. I like to use 2fg with shot. And I suggested that you make it a square load, but I didn't use the term..., sorry:oops:...which would be easier in many cases.., so you simply set the measure for 60 and then use it again for the shot. What's nice about that is if your measure is like many, inaccurate, the powder/shot ratio is still "square".

LD

Probably true if your store-bought measure, measures accurately. If you recall one of our members checked several and found all but the TC clear plastic were inaccurate.

Still, the standard load (of course it was for ammo intended for chokes) was 2.25 dram and 3/4 ounce... for 28 gauge.

LD
How much 2f powder would equal 2.25 dram? Sorry about all the questions, just lookin for some simpler info. Thanks

Bill: Chill man. I did not read on further to see the loads you refer to. Sorry bout that. However, I have as many years as you do shooting these things and perhaps a much broader knowledge regarding the guns and loads. Sorry, but I never owned a TC so perhaps in that vein I am not as savvy but to refer to folks here as "internet Guru's" in such a snide manner is not the way to do things. Comments above were rendered as "helpful" from folks that are or have messed around with more then just TC's and as such show a bit of a spread in approach. That's what makes this forum what it is.

From one "Jersey boy" (born and raised in the very NE corner of Bergen Co,) to another..... Don't get your back up because others have offered information.

JMHO

JMHO,

We are good Sir. No problems.

I'm just a grumpy old fart, with overly thin skin.

I only know T/C rifles and no others.

I rarely make a comment unless I am concrete sure of my response of giving advice.

Been shooting them since early 1970's.

I admittedly never claim to be an expert, since there is always someone who knows more than I about these American made contraptions.

I was only trying to help the lad get a good start in proper care and feeding of that particular rifle.

The lad was sent some documentation regarding feeding the .56 dia SB as a PM.

As a 28 Ga. shotgun, with its a very heavy, one inch thick barrel, it's not specifically made as a quick point and aim, for example on running rabbits.

Well, not unless you're a 20 year old weight lifter.

We all know that each and every rifle/shotgun has its own particular quirks on regarding its diet of Black and lead.

Each rifle/shotgun needs to be grouped/patterned on how much weight of each is needed.

To find the diet in which each rifle/shotgun likes is through both trial and error.

I sincerely believe this is a large part of where the fun comes in.

There is no better way to get familiar with your shooting iron than play time at the range.

Playing with "safe ratios" of a little of this and a little of that at the range makes for a great day out and learning your toy's.

Typing and posting does not convey the same expression as two people conversing face to face, or via the phone.

I too apologize for my flipped response.

If I know nothing or very little on a certain subject. I keep my mouth shut, read and learn. If something I read or hear, seems a little off to me I investigate to find the true answers to questions.

I am sure you can agree Sir, that when comments are made on any subject, or on any other internet postings you have read through the years.

And where good meaning folks make comments starting with"
I never owned one but...
My 10 Ga. shotgun patterns best this way, so you should duplicate your .410 the same.
I have never shot one like that, but you should do it this way...
E=MC squared amount of powder should work in your particular rifle.
My redheaded friend of a friend who lives next to the barbershop knows a guy who overheard someone once say....

You get the drift of my meaning Sir, so I shall retreat once again into my cave where I continue to live everyday like it's 1954.

Have a good day Sir, and thank you for your thoughtful response.

PS. I am sincere when I say: Good for you leaving this gawd awful, overly taxed, anti second amendment State of confusion.
Camden County is no picnic either.

God Bless you and yours Sir.

LD[/QUOTE]

So the original question was "What's the best load for my 56 cal. Smooth bore?"

And you gave him the Maximum Load???

Is that what you learned 45 years ago?

I'm relatively new to the sport, I got my first black powder kit in '79; that's a 17 year old Me holding my first Turkey and the 45 I built in 8th grade on my avatar. I've only built 6 muzzle loaders from kits, I'm almost finished with my 1st from scratch, an Early Lancaster LH flint 40 cal.

Been reloading center fire since 1980, first thing my mentor said is don't start at the maximum load.

I think that's still good advice.

LD

So the original question was "What's the best load for my 56 cal. Smooth bore?"

And you gave him the Maximum Load???

Is that what you learned 45 years ago?

I'm relatively new to the sport, I got my first black powder kit in '79; that's a 17 year old Me holding my first Turkey and the 45 I built in 8th grade on my avatar. I've only built 6 muzzle loaders from kits, I'm almost finished with my 1st from scratch, an Early Lancaster LH flint 40 cal.

Been reloading center fire since 1980, first thing my mentor said is don't start at the maximum load.

I think that's still good advice.

Wow, just wow. You sir really are a different kind of "Special".

I will try to type very, very slowly, to give you the chance to catch up to speed.

OK, Here we go.... are you ready?

QUESTION ASKED: "What's the best load for my 56 cal. Smooth bore?" And you gave him the Maximum Load???

ANSWER: (Copied from previous above post:) We all know that each and every rifle/shotgun has its own particular quirks on regarding its diet of Black and lead.

Each rifle/shotgun needs to be grouped/patterned on how much weight of each is needed.

To find the diet in which each rifle/shotgun likes is through both trial and error.

I sincerely believe this is a large part of where the fun comes in.

There is no better way to get familiar with your shooting iron than play time at the range.

Playing with "safe ratios" of a little of this and a little of that at the range makes for a great day out and learning your toy's.

Now, since this was apparently too difficult and overwhelming for your comprehension and reading level, a synopsis is stated below.

**** If -the -people -who -make -the -g-u-n -(that's the heavy metal & wood thing that goes Bang) recommends -a -certain -load -as -a -maximum (The -book -even -Stated -"Maximum -load -is -in -RED).

MAXIMUM: means never, ever, no, no, no use more than that amount of Power.
MAXIMUM: Do NOT, never, ever, no, no, no put more than this amount into the GUN.
MAXIMUM = the MOST.

I sincerely believed even the most dimwitted among us can understand this word... "MAXIMUM"...
But, hey I believe I just my wife happy, that I obviously was just proven wrong...again.

NOW on to the next QUESTION. Ready?

QUESTION: "
Been reloading center fire since 1980, first thing my mentor said is don't start at the maximum load."
ANSWER: Well, congratulations, aren't you multi-talented, thats wonderful. Lets take this real slow again. Here we go....
Reloading centerfire rifle, shotgun, revolvers, and pistol ammo is NOT the SAME THING, as reloading a BLACK POWDER MUZZLE LOADER.
To even explain the differences in composition of both BLACK POWDER and MODERN SMOKELESS POWDER to you would have me wrapping my head in Duct Tape, while curled up in the fetal position, shivering in the corner.
I am not a Special Ed teacher, so just bare with me.

"first thing my mentor said is don't start at the maximum load". I am going to break one of my fundamental rules here just this once for you. I am going to look deep into my crystal ball and try to help you understand what your Mentor probably was trying to relay to you.
Your Mentor most likely told you to never start with the Maximum PRESSURE Load.
A Maximum PRESSURE Load, can be very dangerous, possible even hurt someone with a very thick Skull.

I'll just give you the readers Digest Version Since my time is running short trying to explain even the basic things to you.

Most muzzle loading Black Powder rifles reach their optimum at or near Maximum LOAD.
Also, With your vast experience in Reloading Center Fire Ammo, and I believe your Reloading books even recommend loading the Case with a Maximum Load of Powder. NOT Maximum PRESSURE Load of Powder.

Warm Regards,

Bill

Bill from NJ, you might want to read over the rules of the forum again, paying particular attention to rule #18:

18: We do not allow Religious or Political Signatures or Avatars.

Any questions about it, see Zonie, if he's around.

Spence

Bill from NJ, you might want to read over the rules of the forum again, paying particular attention to rule #18:

18: We do not allow Religious or Political Signatures or Avatars.

Any questions about it, see Zonie, if he's around.

Spence

Thank you for pointing this out to me.

I made the change.

Back