• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.56 Smoothbore Grouse Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had a couple .56 smoothbore Renegades for years and they've pretty much been ignored. Since I started playing with shot in my .62 smoothbore Renegade this year it got me thinking about the .56's. I took one to the range last week and it was shooting decent patterns with 7/8oz #6 shot over 65gr of FF Goex. Both counts are the number of pellets in the 8" circle. This is the load I used on today's hunt.
.56SB-'538 Shot Pattern and Small Game Load 037.JPG

My son was able to go grouse hunting with my today. We started out going up high looking for blue grouse. We covered a lot of ground. We were having a great day hiking but we weren't seeing any birds. We climbed the same rocky point I climbed last week. He borrowed my gun and shot bag to do the same Jeremiah Johnson "Overture" pose that I did last week. :thumb:
.56SB Grouse Hunt with Kelton, Ramrod, Cap Puller 093.JPG

On the way down the mountain he took a grouse with a rimfire Henry lever action. We returned to the vehicle, cleaned his bird and put it in the cooler. Then we went to a different area. We covered quite a bit of ground. Finally around 7PM I spotted a grouse and broke in my .56 Renegade.
.56SB Grouse Hunt with Kelton, Ramrod, Cap Puller 236.JPG

.56SB Grouse Hunt with Kelton, Ramrod, Cap Puller 230.JPG

Back