• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.54 Renegade Arrived

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At one time I had a .50 Hawken, .45 Seneca and .54 Renegade, this was back before T/C put the model names on the barrels. I traded off the Seneca as partial payment for a beautiful mountain ash stocked .36 flintlock. The Renegade went down the road, one of the few guns of any kind I can't recall to whom I sold it. I replaced the Seneca some years back. I finally found an early Renegade in .54 for a reasonable price and it arrived today. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow?

I should have mentioned, earlier in the day I also received a shipment of blackpowder I had on order. The muzzleloader Gods were looking out for me yesterday.

Last edited:
At one time I had a .50 Hawken, .45 Seneca and .54 Renegade, this was back before T/C put the model names on the barrels. I traded off the Seneca as partial payment for a beautiful mountain ash stocked .36 flintlock. The Renegade went down the road, one of the few guns of any kind I can't recall to whom I sold it. I replaced the Seneca some years back. I finally found an early Renegade in .54 for a reasonable price and it arrived today. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow?
Love mine. Also pre-name and 4 digit s/n. My barrel is excellent condition inside, and spade stamped on the bottom flat. Only issue is some Bubba tried to remove the breach at one time and left it marked. I cleaned it up as best I could but it ain’t perfect.
Good find!!
Walk

Urban Coyote, Do yourself a favor and remove the lock, polish its innards*, and make sure the screws on the bridle are tight (Don't ask....!). Polish the trigger levers and sear where it bears on those levers as well. The hardest thing about this was carefully removing and reinserting the coil spring. Lubricate all moving parts with your favorite oil and you're set to go.

*I used a Cratex wheel in a Dremel hand piece at moderate speed. but hard felt bobs (DuroFelt) with your favorite polish will work too.

First range session today. Home cast
.530 ball, spit lubed ticking and 70 grains GOEX FFG at 25 yards first 3 shots, orange target. I move to 50 yards upped my charge to 90 grains and changed to Speer .530 ball, black bull 5 shot group. I think she's a keeper.

Attachments

• 20220929_133520.jpg
    20220929_133520.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220929_111117.jpg
    20220929_111117.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
First range session today. Home cast
.530 ball, spit lubed ticking and 70 grains GOEX FFG at 25 yards first 3 shots, orange target. I move to 50 yards upped my charge to 90 grains and changed to Speer .530 ball, black bull 5 shot group. I think she's a keeper.
What more could you want? Great shooting.

That is a splendidly accurate rifle if there ever was one. That is definitely a keeper and you should be punished if you let it get away from you.

I should have mentioned, earlier in the day I also received a shipment of blackpowder I had on order. The muzzleloader Gods were looking out for me yesterday.
I used pyrodex for a long time with terrible results in my renegades. I finally was able to get Goex and some schuetzen so i can have much more positive ignition in my renegades.

Back