• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD .54 Caliber Flint Longrifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you very much Eddie. Your father was a great builder. I've seen many of his rifles on the firing line. I have an older friend from New York who competed with a rifle he purchased from your father more than half a century ago. The rifle was indeed very accurate and it performed very reliably.

Jim he was my great uncle . Pap was BW Southgate and Roylands older brother . Pap built custom handguns and a conversion to make a single shot target pistol using the frame minus barrel and cylinder from an 1860 Army Colt . I am glad to see someone appreciates uncle Roylands guns , he gets treated kinda rough on the Traditional Longrifle Forum .

I've never been able to afford a cheap rifle. I can't afford to spend several hundred dollars on an unsatisfactory gun, then lose a few hundred more when I cut my losses to get out of it...and spend hundreds more on another gun that still doesn't match my expectations. Too much math. Too much trouble. If you invest in a fine firearm, it appreciates in value. (Heck, you can even shoot a couple of deer with it and not reduce your price when you go to sell it.) I've been happily married for 40 years (to the same woman) because I avoided cheap women and cheap guns. I married a keeper, who's worth more to me now than when I met her. I bought expensive guns, because my wife understood the investment. Had many friends who didn't invest in the right relationships (or firearms) and now they're as old as I am without a wonderful wife, but instead have several nasty and expensive X's and a damned poor collection of bargain guns. Save time, money and aggravation. Invest in quality. It never comes cheap.
Lots of truth to that..hat tip....
SM

Lock on deer small.jpg

I've never been able to afford a cheap rifle. I can't afford to spend several hundred dollars on an unsatisfactory gun, then lose a few hundred more when I cut my losses to get out of it...and spend hundreds more on another gun that still doesn't match my expectations. Too much math. Too much trouble. If you invest in a fine firearm, it appreciates in value. (Heck, you can even shoot a couple of deer with it and not reduce your price when you go to sell it.) I've been happily married for 40 years (to the same woman) because I avoided cheap women and cheap guns. I married a keeper, who's worth more to me now than when I met her. I bought expensive guns, because my wife understood the investment. Had many friends who didn't invest in the right relationships (or firearms) and now they're as old as I am without a wonderful wife, but instead have several nasty and expensive X's and a damned poor collection of bargain guns. Save time, money and aggravation. Invest in quality. It never comes cheap.

This sums up life better than I've heard it said in a long, long time! I'd buy your rifle except that I'm going to put one together myself. I hope someone here is able to buy it; it's a beautiful rifle. I won't even talk about buying your wife. My wife of 50 years wouldn't let me keep her anyway!

Anyone who buys the rifle can handle it. They can shoot it too. I promise they'll receive many compliments on the rifle even if they don't shoot it well. You can pretty much determine the value of anything, by how many people tell you, YOU don't deserve it. No one begrudges you an ugly gun. True beauty is proportionate to the envy it excites. This is a truly "exciting" rifle.

The long sight radius and weight contribute substantially to the rifles accuracy. Even 20th century target rifles like the 10 to 13 pound Winchester52 utilized weight to deliver superb offhand accuracy. I'm in my mid 60's and purchased this rifle for an Adirondack deer hunt. The deer population is only slightly more abundant than the Unicorn herd and I carried the rifle a dozen miles a day...uphill. Whether splitting cards at 10 yards, ringing gongs at 200 or shooting deer offhand at 86 yards, you want to carry enough gun. If you're not a youngster or old gym rat and just want a pretty rifle to hunt big game with, you could always load up before leaving camp, and leave the ramrod in your tent. It's so accurate, you won't need a second shot, and without a ramrod the rifle only weighs 9 pounds 10 ounces, same as an M1Garand without a sling

Last edited:
Eddie,
Back in the 70's I lived in Nashville and through a friend, Mac Carney, had the privilege of knowing both your Dad and your Uncle. Both were not only craftsmen but also gentlemen. Spending time with either of them was always looked forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back