FOR SALE .54 Caliber Flint Longrifle

Discussion in 'Firearms For Sale/Trade/Wanted' started by Iron Jim Rackham, Oct 21, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Oct 21, 2019 #1

Iron Jim Rackham

Iron Jim Rackham

Iron Jim Rackham

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

Here's your chance to purchase a .54 caliber longrifle, beautifully finished from a Jim Kibler kit by the very talented and well known gunmaker Tim Williams

Tim's work is in such high demand he's no longer accepting orders. I picked this rifle up from him in 2018 at Dixon's Gunmaker's Fair and shot a doe with it last fall. The rifle is lethally accurate. An excellent rifle for a Wood's Walk, its 10 pound weight helps keep it steady for splitting cards or ringing 200 yard gongs. It features a highly figured maple stock with a mixture of raised and incised carving, Chambers Colonial Virginia lock, Rice barrel with aged finish, and brass hardware.

$4,054.00 plus actual insured shipping costs. If interested please contact me at Jimscabinets@frontiernet.net

Right Side small.jpg
    Left Side small.jpg
    Lock small.jpg Triggerguard small.jpg Entry Thimble small.jpg Cheekpiece carving small.jpg Front Sight small.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Muddly, RiverRat, SamTex1949 and 3 others like this.
  2. Oct 21, 2019 #2

j2adams

j2adams

j2adams

32 Cal MLF Supporter

gorgeous rifle!

rshveyda likes this.
  3. Oct 21, 2019 #3

nessmuk

nessmuk

nessmuk

40 Cal.

Beautiful rifle, but out of my price range.

4. Oct 21, 2019 #4

Old Timer 48

Old Timer 48

Old Timer 48

36 Cal. MLF Supporter

What is the length of pull? Is the barrel swamped? What is the barrel length?

5. Oct 22, 2019 #5

Iron Jim Rackham

Iron Jim Rackham

Iron Jim Rackham

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

The length of pull is 13 3/4" with a 43 1/4" swamped octagon barrel with a twist 1/66. I've always believed everyone can afford a nice rifle. They might not be able to afford a car, or expensive home, but what's a ride or address compared to a nice rifle?

Capnball, Muddly and Brokennock like this.
  6. Oct 22, 2019 #6

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

So, you offer financing? Lol.

JB67, SamTex1949, chuck1956 and 2 others like this.
  7. Nov 6, 2019 #7

ScottNE

ScottNE

ScottNE

Pilgrim

Good morning,
    What distance have the sights been regulated to?

8. Nov 6, 2019 #8

Iron Jim Rackham

Iron Jim Rackham

Iron Jim Rackham

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

I'm an inch high at 50 yards, which allows me to cut the X by holding at the base of the 10 ring. I'm 3" low at 100 yards. The doe I took with it last season, was about 65 yards away, and I held on her heart and hit point of aim.

9. Nov 22, 2019 #9

Iron Jim Rackham

Iron Jim Rackham

Iron Jim Rackham

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

I just wanted to thank the future purchaser of this rifle for allowing me to take a young buck with it offhand today at 86 yards using 75 grains of Goex FFG2 behind a .530 round ball wrapped in .015 greased patch.
    Buck rifle and bag small.jpg

10. Nov 22, 2019 #10

Iron Jim Rackham

Iron Jim Rackham

Iron Jim Rackham

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

Rather than allowing me to continue to bag deer with this nice rifle, you should buy it, and tag your own
    wampum and carving small.jpg

SamTex1949 and FiremanBrad like this.
  11. Nov 23, 2019 #11

Brian Gibbs

Brian Gibbs

Brian Gibbs

32 Cal

You're killin' me! Looks like a well placed shot though!

12. Nov 23, 2019 #12

rshveyda

rshveyda

rshveyda

36 Cl.

That's some darn fine marketing for yer rifle. If I had the funds you'd already have my address.

13. Nov 23, 2019 #13

Iron Jim Rackham

Iron Jim Rackham

Iron Jim Rackham

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

I've never been able to afford a cheap rifle. I can't afford to spend several hundred dollars on an unsatisfactory gun, then lose a few hundred more when I cut my losses to get out of it...and spend hundreds more on another gun that still doesn't match my expectations. Too much math. Too much trouble. If you invest in a fine firearm, it appreciates in value. (Heck, you can even shoot a couple of deer with it and not reduce your price when you go to sell it.) I've been happily married for 40 years (to the same woman) because I avoided cheap women and cheap guns. I married a keeper, who's worth more to me now than when I met her. I bought expensive guns, because my wife understood the investment. Had many friends who didn't invest in the right relationships (or firearms) and now they're as old as I am without a wonderful wife, but instead have several nasty and expensive X's and a damned poor collection of bargain guns. Save time, money and aggravation. Invest in quality. It never comes cheap.

14. Nov 24, 2019 #14

Pvt.Hardtack

Pvt.Hardtack

Pvt.Hardtack

32 Cal

That is a beautiful, well made and deadly accurate rifle to be sure.

That's too nice to let go.

If my wallet was a bit fatter..........:(

15. Nov 24, 2019 #15

DBoon

DBoon

DBoon

32 Cal

This may be the future of computer kits. Excellent kits by men like Kibler....assembled and carved/decorated by awesome gunmakers like Tim Williams.....and you get to spend big money over the same in a stick built custom gun.

wattlebuster and Brian Gibbs like this.
  16. Nov 25, 2019 #16

Iron Jim Rackham

Iron Jim Rackham

Iron Jim Rackham

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

Component packages have long been the cradle of craftsmanship. I had several of Kit Ravenshear's guns and he often used pre-carved stocks with machine inlet barrels, locks and buttplates. Jim Chambers has been making outstanding "kits" for a generation, with the price of a finished gun being proportionate to the craftsmanship and reputation of the artist. Hacker Martin and Roy Southgate were talented men building guns from scratch. Their firearms don't compare favorably to contemporary makers because they simply didn't have access to the high quality components now available.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  17. Nov 25, 2019 #17

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Again, I agree with you completely. But, if I don't have the funds, you're not going to send me the rifle. I doubt the bank or credit union is going to start a line of "high end historical firearm," loans.
    Your line of reasoning is why I don't have the funds. I don't make that much, but, when I do buy something I usually buy better than I can really afford, then leave myself in trouble for other things.

Griz44Mag and flinter1977 like this.
  18. Nov 29, 2019 #18

chuck1956

chuck1956

chuck1956

Supporting Member MLF Supporter

Dang that rifle is beautiful!

19. Nov 29, 2019 #19

RiverRat

RiverRat

RiverRat

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

I know Tim Williams and he is a excellent gun/bow maker. He is at the CLA gunshow in Lewisburg, PA every year. I tried to order a long bow from him this year but he stopped taking orders. My humble opinion is a rifle built by Tim Williams is good to go!

20. Dec 2, 2019 #20

Eddie Southgate

Eddie Southgate

Eddie Southgate

36 Cal.

Royland Southgate Jim , not Roy . Only thing on his rifles that he bought as a part was the Russ Hamm lock plate that he used . He built Tennessee rifles known more for being extremely accurate rather than for the fine curves , carving and finish of a Pennsylvania style rifle . Him and Hacker built what people wanted at that time because that's what average people could afford . He did build a few fine rifles but most were just plain Tennessee's that loved to bore holes in X's .

That's a sweet rifle you got , if I had the funds it would come to Tennessee . Good luck with your sale .