• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.54 Cal TC Renegade STOCK 1:48 Twist Accuracy Test

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

40 Cal
Reaction score
This was another New Rifle i have never Shot, Old Pre-Warning .54 Cal STOCK 1:48 Twist, Just the way they came from the Factory years ago, The ONLY thing that is NOT Stock is the Sights, I just Set this Rifle up yesterday evening, and Shot it this morning, I bought this Gun New from a Guy on another Forum awhile back.

The Video

Rifle on the Right, the one on the Left is the Old TC Renegade i just shot 500 yards with. Again, BOTH Rifles are Factory Stock EXCEPT the Sights, I have both Rifles Set up with Lyman 57SML Tang Peeps, With Lyman 17 Series Globe Front Sights. Target is 60 Yards
LlZRMmf.jpg

The Evil Twins :)
isLvA8x.jpg

The Bullet i chose, This is a Custom Bullet i designed, Called the “i Bullet” I had Tom of Accurate Bullet Molds Cut this Mold for me, I had this design done in .45, .50, and .54 Cal, All 3 shoot SPECTACULAR
8rDqFQDm.png

They weigh 500 Grains Cast of PURE Lead
yZU5rQC.jpg

This is the first 3 Shots, 60 Yards
OUtLpT4.jpg

I sent 2 More for good measure 👍
Y2aqidI.jpg

These Old TC’s FLAT OUT Shoot Bubba 👍 They just need the right components

Yep. My uncle & I both built Renegades from kits in 1978. I just assembled everything where it looked right to my eye. We took them out to the farm to try them out. Unk stuck a dime in an old locust log for an aiming point then we stepped off 75 long paces. I sat on the ground, rested my elbows on my knees, took careful aim & drove that dime through the log. Unk warn’t wastin’ any more dimes so he stuck a small white pebble in the hole where the dime had been. My second shot chipped the pebble. And those were my very first shots ever with a black powder rifle. And that was with the factory sights that came with the kit.

And the load was a bore-butter lubed maxi ball on top of a 70 grain measure of pyrodex.

Do you prefer .50 over .54? If so, why.
In your videos, you shoot a .50cal out to 500 and 1200 yards (and very well), do you shoot .54 to similar distances and, if not, why not?

For Long Range The .50 is the way to go, a Long Range Bullet for .54 Cal would get WAY to Heavy.

Here is my Long Range .50 Cal Bullets, i came up with the idea on both of these, Then had Molds Made. They weigh 610 & 615 Grains, Now imagine these Same Bullets in .54 Cal (.540-.542 Diameter) They would weigh somewhere around 800 Grains. You would never get much for velocity with Real Blackpowder and a Bullet that Heavy (My goal is 1350-1400 Fps) These Old TC Stocks were not designed to take the punishment Such a load would produce. And lastly, I don’t want to take that Recoil Punishment either
MzXGK1Qm.jpg

Y360M9bm.jpg

For Long Range The .50 is the way to go, a Long Range Bullet for .54 Cal would get WAY to Heavy.

Here is my Long Range .50 Cal Bullets, i came up with the idea on both of these, Then had Molds Made. They weigh 610 & 615 Grains, Now imagine these Same Bullets in .54 Cal (.540-.542 Diameter) They would weigh somewhere around 800 Grains. You would never get much for velocity with Real Blackpowder and a Bullet that Heavy (My goal is 1350-1400 Fps) These Old TC Stocks were not designed to take the punishment Such a load would produce. And lastly, I don’t want to take that Recoil Punishment either
MzXGK1Qm.jpg

Y360M9bm.jpg

You answered a question that had been floating around in my mind when you mentioned recoil. I knew the recoil from your .50 cal. had to be kicking your butt to get a 610 gtain bullet over a 1000 feet per sec.. The max load I have shot in my .54 is 120 grains behind a 226 grain ball and it isn't comfortable at all from the shooting bench. I am glad it isn't a accurate load in my rifle! LOL!

And those were my very first shots ever with a black powder rifle.
My first bp shot's came from a Renegade also, a .54.
I had bid and was accepted to preform skilled labor on a mans home,
, come time the job was finished, he offered the rifle in lieu of cash, a mixed barter was made.
I walked away with that rifle in hand and only basic instructions, I've been hooked ever since!!

p.s. Geez, when I think of it, that was a long time before there was even an internet,, with places to ask.

Last edited:
Lew, when you shoot off the vehicle is your torso more upright?
I shoot what I call recoilers with a more upright position for the shoulders sake.

It is Brit, that is where i am most comfortable 👍 I have a really nice Rest System for Bench Shooting, a Sinclair Front, and a good portable Bench that i built, But i stil prefer to shoot over my Hood

My first bp shot's came from a Renegade also, a .54.
I had bid and was accepted to preform skilled labor on a mans home,
, come time the job was finished, he offered the rifle in lieu of cash, a mixed barter was made.
I walked away with that rifle in hand and only basic instructions, I've been hooked ever since!!

p.s. Geez, when I think of it, that was a long time before there was even an internet,, with places to ask.

I started with a little TC New Englander in .54 Cal, it was a Gift from my Dad, My very first outing i came home with the Ramrod STUCK TIGHT in the Gun from trying to Dry Patch :rolleyes:😁 Truth is, I almost gave up on it after that 1st outing, But something about it intrigued me, I started digging up all the info I could find on Muzzleloading, I came across “Swabbing/Wiping Between Shots” Once I figured out how I could shoot over & over, I was HOOKED on it. Today I have a 64 Gun safe that is Packed with these Old Muzzleloaders, And a Tote that is FULL of Bullet & Ball Molds :)

This was another New Rifle i have never Shot, Old Pre-Warning .54 Cal STOCK 1:48 Twist, Just the way they came from the Factory years ago, The ONLY thing that is NOT Stock is the Sights, I just Set this Rifle up yesterday evening, and Shot it this morning, I bought this Gun New from a Guy on another Forum awhile back.

The Video

Rifle on the Right, the one on the Left is the Old TC Renegade i just shot 500 yards with. Again, BOTH Rifles are Factory Stock EXCEPT the Sights, I have both Rifles Set up with Lyman 57SML Tang Peeps, With Lyman 17 Series Globe Front Sights. Target is 60 Yards
LlZRMmf.jpg

The Evil Twins :)
isLvA8x.jpg

The Bullet i chose, This is a Custom Bullet i designed, Called the “i Bullet” I had Tom of Accurate Bullet Molds Cut this Mold for me, I had this design done in .45, .50, and .54 Cal, All 3 shoot SPECTACULAR
8rDqFQDm.png

They weigh 500 Grains Cast of PURE Lead
yZU5rQC.jpg

This is the first 3 Shots, 60 Yards
OUtLpT4.jpg

I sent 2 More for good measure 👍
Y2aqidI.jpg

Sweet! S, you don't patch those? How many grains BP on the .54 at 100 are you shooting?

My first muzzleloader was a TC Renegade in .54 caliber. I bought it on sale at JC Penney's in 1976. I had this rifle for many years and learned to wring excellent accuracy from the 26" barrel.
I took a 3rd in the 50 yard bull at a Regional NMLRA match shooting against the big boys. I won or placed in all the small local matches I entered. That was one shootin' rifle.
I hunted with it for many seasons and regularly took deer and hogs with it.
But I wanted a flintlock so after many seasons i bought a LH GPR but I never equalled the accuracy I got with the Renegade.
So I built my first flintlock. It took awhile but I finally got it shooting a few one hole groups at 50 yards.
Then I built another in .40 to be my turkey rifle and it's a shooter too.
That old Renegade taught me about black powder.
Here's a real old photo of that rifle. It was taken Thanksgiving morning sometime in the early 80's.
TC-Renegade-150-1091-Pixels-723x1024.jpg

My first muzzleloader was a TC Renegade in .54 caliber. I bought it on sale at JC Penney's in 1976. I had this rifle for many years and learned to wring excellent accuracy from the 26" barrel.
I took a 3rd in the 50 yard bull at a Regional NMLRA match shooting against the big boys. I won or placed in all the small local matches I entered. That was one shootin' rifle.
But I wanted a flintlock so after many seasons i bought a LH GPR but I never equalled the accuracy I got with the Renegade.
So I built my first flintlock. It took awhile but I finally got it shooting a few one hole groups at 50 yards.
Here's a real old photo of that rifle. It was taken Thanksgiving morning sometime in the early 80's.

I know how you feel towards your B.P. rifle! They are like old girl friends . You remember the good times together. Of all the B.P. rifles I have owned my .54 Ithaca Hawkin was and still is my favorite squeeze! She brings back a flood of good memories every time I look at her.

MzXGK1Qm.jpg

Y360M9bm.jpg
Your reasoning makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for your reply.

Great memories!

I'm impressed to say the least .. great shooting
Can I order that same bullet mold ?
Thanks, Bob

Yea you can 👍 I just shot this Bullet in this Rifle to 500 Yards today, I was able to RING my Gong, The Bullet is stil Stable there 👍

It is Accurate Molds #54-485i, The Bullet Weighs 500 Grains when Cast of Pure Lead. If you need help figuring out how to order an Accurate Bullet Mold i have a Tutorial explaining exactly how to do it, I have no affiliation with Accurate i am just a Customer that has Bought Many of his Molds

Latest posts

Back