• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 Cal Lyman Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is the first kit I have done. Its a Lyman Plains Pistol. I used LMF on the metal and Birchwood Casey Brass Black on the brass parts.

100_4727.jpg

I love mine. Contrary to the camp buzz, the Lyman pistols are accurate. Put them on sandbags to sight in and they will amaze you. I proved the skeptics wrong!

Dusty Bob, I made the knife sheath, but not the horn or knife.

These are the first shots fired offhand at 20 yards from its initial trip to the range. It was cold with gusty winds which affected my aim. I think the gun is capable of better groups, but I'm not disappointed with it so far. I'm not going to mess with the sights until I send 50+ rounds down the barrel. I'm shooting a .530 patched round ball over 40 grains of Goex 3F black powder.

100_4730.jpg

Someone had left a can of applesauce on the ground at the range so I decided to see if I would get any expansion from the round ball. Knowing about where to hold from my shots on the target, I adjusted my aim and shot the can at 20 yards. I was impressed with the exit hole through the frozen applesauce. If I'm going to use this gun for small game I'll have to reduce the powder charge quite a bit.

100_4736.jpg

I'm not unhappy with it. :wink: I think with better weather conditions, load development and getting used to the feel of this gun I can tighten the group up a little. I have shot a lot of one hole/cloverleaf groups with handguns from .22lr through .45-70 at that range so I guess I set the bar kind of high. My biggest accuracy problem is usually a loose screw behind the handle! :grin: I am very happy with this gun though.

Nice stitchin and your aim aint to bad either. :surrender:
Dusty :wink:

It said you used LMF on the metal?? What is this LMF And brass black on brass, I like the look of that.

basic instinct said:
It said you used LMF on the metal?? What is this LMF And brass black on brass, I like the look of that.

LMF is Laurel Mountain Forge browning solution. There is a guide to using it in the Gun Builders Bench forum. Brass Black is a Birchwood Casey product.

Latest posts

Back