• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 cal loads ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tippyguru

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello Folks, well I've got some loads worked up for 50 and 100 metres for my 54 GPR using Wano 2P, 0.0105" compressed cotton drill patching lubed 7:1 with Ballistol and matched weight round balls and changed the front sight over to a Lyman 1/16 white bead jobby(what a difference!).
50 metres I use 80 gn and rested it shoots 3/4" to 1-1/2" groups .
100 metres I use 110 gn and have them all within the width of the 8 ring but 2-1/2 " low though one click up of elevation punches them thru the top 6 / 7 ring band( all 5 shots were in the region) so have cut a half click in the screw and feel confident of being able to get it peppering with in the 9 ring.
I reckon this rifle is a sweet,joy and good value but grouping is very sensitive to patching thickness would like to here others opinions/loads on the 100 metre mark .regards P

Looks like you've found a pretty good combination already. I've always found the most accurate loads in the 80-90 grain range. Still plenty enough oomph to hunt with. I use the Ballistol mix, myself.

You don't say what size ball you are shooting. I shoot a .526 ball in my .54 with a .015 patch. The .0105 patching seems a little thin for my taste. You might experiment with a slightly smaller ball. I just use spit patching over 55 or 75 grains of 3F. All my shooting is offhand so I can't say how well this load works at 100 meters except to say that it rings gongs with some regularity.

Many Klatch

as usual forgot something, sorry , 535 round ball is all I have, the patching is 021+ but I do measure it with a micrometer fully compressed at 10.5, I wipe between shots, takes a good whack to start it and it seats easily but have no tears or burn thru and am happy with the overall condition

I'm still working on getting the new sight fined tuned and the gun sighted in, hope to finish it this weekend....been gone for a while.....I use 80 grains pyrodex (can't get Goex here) with .535 ball and .18 pillow ticking, seems to work good, groups are about 1 1/2 inch at 25 yards but about 3 1/2-4 inches low, need to lower front sight. Is this load good for deer? Or do I need to bump it up when I get it fine tuned at 100 yards? :hmm:

80 grains of H777 with a Hornady 410 grain conical works fine for Mule deer. Through and through the entire body cavity from chest to tail at 50yds.

A .520 or .526 ball with a thick patch and 60 grains of 3F shoots well in every .54 I've ever owned.

If the 80 grain load is good at 50 meters, why would you change it to shoot 110 ? Use the 80 grain load at 100 meters too. It may not shoot as flat, but flat doesn't mean anything if it is not as accurate. I can tell ya for sure one of them is more accurate than the other one & my guess is the smaller charge is the most accurate.

Most rifles I have owned had only 1 accurate load that would outshine them all. I may have found another load that is OK or minute of deer so to speak, but not as accurate as the one best load.

I would find the Best load, stick with it, learn to make adjustments when sighting for that load.... Allot simpler & especially if you shoot several dif calibers & have to remember which rifle likes what load for this distance & that distance.........

:hmm:

I was guessing, based upon your patch thickness, that you are using the .535 ball. I used that ball extensively with my own GPR in the first few months along with .010 prelube patches. I never measured the patches, but that's what the package says.

Here's something to watch for in your own GPR, based upon experience with mine:

After several hundred shots of "break-in" the bore seemed to wear in or loosen. While I couldn't even ram the combo without great effort when the rifle was new, it eventually seated .535/.015 easily. And in fact it shot better than had become my expectation with .010 patches. And most significant of all, it shot .530/.018 even better.

That last combo wouldn't even seat when the rifle was new, but seats nicely now with a quick slap on the short starter followed by moderate pressure on the ram rod. Though it's now the most accurate by far on paper, I don't use it for hunting due to the extra seating effort. I hunt with the easier-seating .530/.015 an punch paper with the .530/.018.

Depending on how many shots you have through yours, it might be interesting to experiment with progressively tighter ball/patch combos. I was so happy with my own that I didn't get around to it till one day I couldn't find any .535 balls and had to settle for .530. Glad I did!

Back