• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 cal Lancaster scores a big doe tonight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Shot my third deer with my TVM Lancaster style flintlock rifle tonight. 25 yard standing broadside shot. 80 grains 2fg under a home brewed .530 round ball and pillow ticking patch. Not sure of the patch thickness, .018 or.020 dont remember. Deer was hit through the heart but still managed to run aboit 80 yards. Dropped into a small stream bed and couldnt climb out. I only gave it about ten minutes after I shot it until I went after it. Deer was shot right around 4:30 and sunset around here right now is like 4:40. I didnt want to track a deer after dark hence why I didnt wait long. Only took like 5 minutes to walk to where I last saw it. I could have sworn it made it up the creek bank but I found it lying 2 feet from the stream. The bank was about six foot high where it tried to climb out but it mustve run out of steam by then. Stone cold dead by the time I got to it. When I gutted it, its heart had a huge hole in it. So that deer was dead on its feet for that 80 or so yard run. Was pumping on pure
1205201654.jpg
adrenelin no doubt.

BTW the photo is right as we drug the deer out of the creek to my deer cart. I had to wait for my buddie to show up to help me drag it. Thanks to Steve for the help. Id have never gotten it out of there without his assistance.

Last edited:
Congrats. Now you got to make it through the hanging and getting it cut up and in the freezer.
I dont cut my own deer, so Ive got to wait until Monday until my butcher opens. They are closed Sundays. Itll keep in the back of the truck til then. Goimg down into the low 40s tonight so will be perfectly refrigerated.

good shootin brother! i will guarantee you right after you lowered the gun from the shot that deer was stone dead on the ground. it probably took her 3 sec. to cover 80yds,,,,,,,,,,,,

good shootin brother! i will guarantee you right after you lowered the gun from the shot that deer was stone dead on the ground. it probably took her 3 sec. to cover 80yds,,,,,,,,,,,,
I would say it took her probably 5 or 6 seconds to cover that distance. I knew when I saw her front right leg go down that she was hit. Had it not been for that creek bank, I think she'd have run farther than she did. I did find an exit wound. It was no bigger than the entrance hole. I guess at the distance she was from me, the ball didnt have time to expand. Complete pass through from right to left.

flint doe6.JPG

i shot this doe Friday with my 54 southern rifle. she ran a bout 70yds the ball entered where you see and it exited on the last rib on the others from a hard quartering shot. amazing how they can run off hit like that. i was using 75gr. of 2f goex ol eynsford and a Hornaday .535 ball. the exit hole was the same as the entrance, no expansion,,,,,,,,,,

Latest posts

Back