• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

54 cal flintlock smoothbore pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Others may be better than me, but I doubt you can measure better than minute of man at anything beyond 15, and I still miss plenty at that range.

That's why I'm a fan of buck and ball. Ask yourself, what are you wanting to do with it?

FWIW, I'm building a .62 French Dragoon pistol, with a front sight. I do want to squeeze what I can out of it.

Going to be building a 54 cal smoothbore flintlock pistol does anyone have any info on loads, powder, patches, etc? Never shot one I am excited to build shoot and hopefully take a deer with
While I know that your pistol is going to be a lot of fun to shoot I would seriously advise your to not use it for deer hunting. You are going to need a stiff charge to dispatch an animal that large. Combined with a smooth bore pistol (not that accurate at normal deer range) and adding in the "flinch factor" of a flintlock I think you are most likely looking at tracking a wounded deer that may never found by you. Game animals deserve enough respect that anyone hunting them should use an arm that can deliver a clean, quick kill shot every time. IMHO that pistol does not qualify. Some may disagree but it's the code of ethics I live by in the field. You might possibly consider starting out with squirrel hunting and maybe move up to turkeys at some point.

We’ll to each they’re own the flinch factor won’t occur. I’ve been shooting flintlocks for over 40 years but not to say I don’t pull one from time to time but I’m not new to the sport just new to shooting a flintlock pistol. Thanks for your input

Back