• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

54 cal Elk Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishslap

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I’m shooting a Lyman GPR flintlock in 54 cal. Shooting .530 roundball with mink oil lubed .018 pillow ticking patch. I got good groups at 75 yards with 80 grains 2f Goex, but when I tried 90 (and 85), my groups opened up. My last two bull elk were shot at 90 yards with the same gun but percussion with 90 grains of 2f triple 7. My question is if 80 grains of 2f Goex is enough punch for elk out to 100 yards in the flintlock? My option is to switch to 3f Goex (which I have) and stay at 80 grain (more velocity for 3f) or even bump up a bit. I could try a different ball/patch combo with the 90 grains of 2f, or try going to 100 grains, but I felt my fouling was increasing with 90 gr of 2f. What ya think?

I think thats just weird. Almost as weird as windows 10 (just ran out of curse words for that). 80 grains is plenty but the group opening up is weird. I had same thing once with a .50 mnt pistiol.....hit a quarter EVERY shot at 25 yards. 30 yards maybe 2 outta 5. 30 yds need luck to hit hit in a day. Yer rifle shouldn't do that in 5 yards, espacially out at 75 yards!?? I will watch with interest if anyone has an answer.

You could try the 3f but I bet there’s not 50 foot pounds difference in energy between 80 and 100 grain loads at 100 yards. Others have used ballistic programs to make this point and believe it. 80 should be just fine.

I think thats just weird. Almost as weird as windows 10 (just ran out of curse words for that). 80 grains is plenty but the group opening up is weird. I had same thing once with a .50 mnt pistiol.....hit a quarter EVERY shot at 25 yards. 30 yards maybe 2 outta 5. 30 yds need luck to hit hit in a day. Yer rifle shouldn't do that in 5 yards, espacially out at 75 yards!?? I will watch with interest if anyone has an answer.
Shooting was all at 75 yards. The changes I was making was in powder volume, not yardage. The group opened up quite a bit when increasing powder from 80 to 90 grains. I tried 85 grains and the group was better than 90 grains but still not as good as 80 grains.

You could try the 3f but I bet there’s not 50 foot pounds difference in energy between 80 and 100 grain loads at 100 yards. Others have used ballistic programs to make this point and believe it. 80 should be just fine.
Thank you sir. I might try a few groups with 3f but not spend much time on it if it isn’t obviously better. It sounds like my 80gr 2f load will be enough and it’s accurate. I welcome other opinions from the group.

You could try a felt wad over the powder with your 100 grain load. I have found that with the heavier loads there may be some patch burn out. The felt wad has stopped the burnout and accuracy is sometimes greatly improved.

I use a similar load, .530 ball +.018 pillow ticking (7:1 ballistol/water). My powder is 80 grains Goex FFFg. FFFFg in the pan. I've shot two elk with this load, one at 90-yards and one right at 100-yards. The 90-yard ball was recovered but the elk went less than 25-yards from impact. The 100-yard ball went through. Pick you shot and make it go where you want.

Look for your fired patches to see what they look like. That will tell you allot. You could try a over powder wad as mentioned or try some other patches, thicker, stronger, to see if they hold up better. You could also try another lube but I doubt that that is the problem. There are some other things too you could try but don't want to overload you.

Not sure what’s what but some of these were at the higher powder volume

Attachments

• 059D142D-CA60-4B11-8696-F605EC974F70.jpeg
    059D142D-CA60-4B11-8696-F605EC974F70.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 129
This was a mix of 90 grain shots and 85 grain shots. I can’t remember what was what but groups with the same charge we’re not good.

Attachments

• 95BCD244-0BA8-4C2C-9ABD-84EFAE91A349.jpeg
    95BCD244-0BA8-4C2C-9ABD-84EFAE91A349.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 81
Stick with that 80 grain four shot group if it was me those patches look real good. I think you have a pretty good load there.
Thanks. I suppose I’m just second guessing my killing power should I need to stretch out to 100 yards. I’ll see what I can get with 3f knowing I can stick with my 2f 80 grain if needed.

I am a lung shooter on deer and those four shots would have all taken out a deers heart. I agree you can play around with your load a little but that load is definitely a good one to fall back on.

Back