• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 cal 1805 Harper's Ferry pistol question.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I'm thinking of getting a Pedersoli 1805 Harper's Ferry smooth bore pistol in .54 cal.....

I've read what DGW recommends is a .520" RB w/ .010" patch, but the advertised bore diameter is .540", and according to the YouTube channel I NEVER MET A GUN I DIDN'T LIKE, you can't use .530RBs.

So if it's .54cal., and the bore diameter is .540", what's the issue? I'm confused! :dunno:

It’s a smooth bore. So if you shoot patch you have to have it very thin as there is no rifeling groves.
A bare ball should work fine with a wad over and under.
The gun was designed for a paper cartridge. And paper is actually pretty thick so a close to bore size won’t work unless you get the ball out of the cartridge and ran the paper down as a top wad.
I bet perdisoli assumes you would use PRB, or they drill and polish at .530, but call it a .54

It’s a smooth bore. So if you shoot patch you have to have it very thin as there is no rifeling groves.
A bare ball should work fine with a wad over and under.
The gun was designed for a paper cartridge. And paper is actually pretty thick so a close to bore size won’t work unless you get the ball out of the cartridge and ran the paper down as a top wad.
I bet perdisoli assumes you would use PRB, or they drill and polish at .530, but call it a .54
So....if I go with a .530"RB, I could go with a bare ball or a .005" patch? OR a over powder wad and a bare .530"RB?

Lots of options and most of them will work. It will be best to have your calipers on hand when the pistol arrives so you can measure the bore. There is often enough variation in diameters that waiting until the pistol is in hand to start making decisions on ball sizes. I like to have a little compression from the patch if I am using a patched round ball. Note that I consider a paper wrapped cartridge to be a patched round ball. With paper the powder is poured and the paper wrapped ball is inserted with the extra paper acting as a wad to hold the ball in place.

Okay, back to ball size. Measure the diameter of the barrel at the muzzle. I use a ball about 0.010"smaller in diameter than the bore diameter on a smooth bored pistol. I would use a patch that compresses to 0.005" to hold the ball in place. Generally that would be an uncompressed 0.010" patch.

I would use a ball 0.010" smaller for a paper wrapped cartridge as well. The paper wrapped ball can be lubricated with some oil or light grease lube.

If you want to use a wadded ball, I would suggest a nest of tow, (shredded jute or hemp twine or tow from flax) to cover the ball and a small ball of tow as an over ball card. The choices for wadding is varied and many different waddings and cards will work.

Without knowing the actual dimensions of your pistol, the 0.530 ball and 0.005" (compressed) patch should work fine.

A powder charge of 30 to 50 grains (3f or 2f) will be sufficient for most uses for that pistol.

Ok, I'm thinking of getting a Pedersoli 1805 Harper's Ferry smooth bore pistol in .54 cal.....

I've read what DGW recommends is a .520" RB w/ .010" patch, but the advertised bore diameter is .540", and according to the YouTube channel I NEVER MET A GUN I DIDN'T LIKE, you can't use .530RBs.

So if it's .54cal., and the bore diameter is .540", what's the issue? I'm confused! :dunno:
I have one and I shoot .530 prb all the time. 35 gr 3F, I have had it for years. If it’s a .54 then .530 should be fine.

Latest posts

Back