• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 big game range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve only killed one and it was a .54, 42” barrel, 110 grains 3f .526 ball. It was about thirty yards. Had a quartering shot. Hit behind the rib cage, passed through liver’ one lung, vena cava, top of other lung didn’t exit.
I would say any round ball gun should be no more then about a hundred yards or so.
RB ballistic are just so crappy

You are so lucky to have access to Red Deer. That is a Bucket List item…hunting Red Deer with a muzzleloader, and hunting Black Buck with a muzzleloader.

So yeah…there’s that.
Red deer is doable for anyone, if it's the adventure and cost is a factor public land hunting is available here and in NZ. There is some free range guided hunts in both places also.

If the big freaks are your goal both countries have options there. Be aware though they are not wild.

If it's the former I'm happy to help out or at least point you in the right direction 👍

If you get to NZ, sika is worth hunting. They are to date my favourite deer species I've hunted.

Red deer is doable for anyone, if it's the adventure and cost is a factor public land hunting is available here and in NZ. There is some free range guided hunts in both places also.

If the big freaks are your goal both countries have options there. Be aware though they are not wild.

If it's the former I'm happy to help out or at least point you in the right direction 👍

If you get to NZ, sika is worth hunting. They are to date my favourite deer species I've hunted.
Your offer is greatly appreciated.

Browning Mountain rifle, 530 ball, 120 grs 2f, 100 yds . Spike bull shot through both shoulders and flattened ball under skin on far side. Down he went! My only black powder elk.
That was my GOTO shot, “broadside through both shoulders”. Your perfect description, has been my experience for the 30+ years that I hunted elk with a smoke pole…you should’ve kept going, you had it right.

Not a good shot with a modern smokeless, too much meat damage; but a perfect shot for a smokepole.

According to the ballistics in the Lyman Black Powder Handbook, 54 cal. ball and 32" barrel, the difference between 60 and 80 gr. FF Goex is not much. Muzzle velocities of 1337 and 1442. At 100 yds the difference is 934 and 966. According to the ballistics calculator posted on another thread the difference in drop at 100 yds is 8.7 and 8.1. To me this means that the only reason to vary the powder charge is to find the most accurate load. That extra 20 grains doesn't buy much but extra recoil and expense.

My target loads for my .50 calibres was in a range of 50 to 60 grains ffg…my hunting loads were the most accurate load between 90 and 105 grains ffg, for the gun I was using.

in .54 calibre, target loads usually fall into 60to 75 grains ffg, and hunting loads are in the region of 95 to 110 grains of ffg…depending on what is most accurate.

These are for Round Balls.

My target loads for my .50 calibres was in a range of 50 to 60 grains ffg…my hunting loads were the most accurate load between 90 and 105 grains ffg, for the gun I was using.

in .54 calibre, target loads usually fall into 60to 75 grains ffg, and hunting loads are in the region of 95 to 110 grains of ffg…depending on what is most accurate.

These are for Round Balls.
to my way of thinking, muzzleloader hunters should find the load that is accurate for shooting at 100 yards and use it for both target and hunting. For me, that is 90 drains Goex FFG. Dropping 15 grains doesn't save enough powder to justify the price of having to remember to adjust your aim between hunting and target shooting, especially since target shooting is supposed to be practice for hunting. On the other hand, target shooters who do not hunt should find their accuracy charge for the distance they are shooting and stick with that load. The only point is it seems to b e a hassle to me to have to remember the different charges and point of aim going between hunting and target, so for me it's simpler to always use the hunting load.

to my way of thinking, muzzleloader hunters should find the load that is accurate for shooting at 100 yards and use it for both target and hunting. For me, that is 90 drains Goex FFG. Dropping 15 grains doesn't save enough powder to justify the price of having to remember to adjust your aim between hunting and target shooting, especially since target shooting is supposed to be practice for hunting. On the other hand, target shooters who do not hunt should find their accuracy charge for the distance they are shooting and stick with that load. The only point is it seems to b e a hassle to me to have to remember the different charges and point of aim going between hunting and target, so for me it's simpler to always use the hunting load.
My range has rules for target loads…hunting loads can be used in August & September, and not during club scheduled shoots

So yeah, Range Nazi’s Unite.

Adapt and overcome…bugling is over rated, great for finding bulls.

When you’re in cover…Cow/Calf calling is where it’s at…crunchy snow, no big deal, call and move, call and move. Elk make noise in crunchy snow, sound like a herd of cows and you become a herd of cows. Stop often and listen…

In open ground…don’t call, just move quietly like your on a Sunday stroll. Don’t even look like you’re hunting, and you’ll see elk. Weird, but it seems to work.
OP is in Australia. How many elk have you hunted in crunchy snow in Australia?

Yes we have crunchy snow in Australia, it's as variable here as in the states.

Closest elk are in NZ. A gift from Theodore Roosevelt. At their peak bigger elk were being shot in NZ than in the states. Interbreeding with reds all but destroyed the herd. They exist now as hybrids, or pure elk on the same game ranches that have those red stags with points everywhere that look like porcupines.

20210221_130017.jpg

Yes we have crunchy snow in Australia, it's as variable here as in the states.

Closest elk are in NZ. A gift from Theodore Roosevelt. At their peak bigger elk were being shot in NZ than in the states. Interbreeding with reds all but destroyed the herd. They exist now as hybrids, or pure elk on the same game ranches that have those red stags with points everywhere that look like porcupines.

View attachment 155500
@Brushfire you are fun…I wish Australia were a bit closer.

My range has rules for target loads…hunting loads can be used in August & September, and not during club scheduled shoots

So yeah, Range Nazi’s Unite.
Who determines what a "target" load is???? MY target load may be different from someone else's target load. PC (that's politically correct, not period correct) seems to have taken hold in Colorado. You have my sympathies.

Who determines what a "target" load is???? MY target load may be different from someone else's target load. PC (that's politically correct, not period correct) seems to have taken hold in Colorado. You have my sympathies.
The club rules state that when shooting at matches, and practices throughout the year, you can only use target loads. And target loads, as I recall, was the number of grains could be no more than the calibre of your firearm…and you may be able to go over that by 10 grains…I think. I don’t recall the exact wording; and by my own wording, some of my loads exceed their limits…

There’s other weird restrictions as well, like…guns cannot have slings on them at the range. It’s considered a trip hazard of some kind. I got spoken too pretty harshly one time about it, because my 1792 Lewis & Clark rifle has a sling…so yeah, I handed them the gun and asked for them to show me how a reasonable person could get tangled up in the sling on my gun. The sling was in its tightest setting, right up tight against the stock…I was told to remove the sling in the future, or not bring it. Sometimes I’m not a popular fellow…

Range Nazi’s.

Back