• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.54 Big Bore CVA Mountain Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A couple of questions for you fellas with these rifles.

What type powder and charge did yours settle on?

Which ball and if you cast your own, which mold and what size does it throw?

What size patching, compressed thickness if you know?

I shoot a 0.535 cast ball with 0.018 pillow ticking lubed with wonder lube. It shoots best with FFg Wano 80gns. I wish it liked FFFg as this would be more consistent to ignite but it won't have a bar of it. I believe for hunting a 0.530 ball would be a better choice as the 0.535 is very tight.

It can be loaded without an assistant gorilla. I don't need to hammer it or anything just a firm push all the way down. It is the 3rd - 4th shot where it can get sticky if I don't swab between shots. Sure is accurate though. Had the guys at the range whistling a few weeks ago.

My .54 is a semi-custom that uses a Lyman/Investarms barrel with 1:48 twist rate. I don't know if that compares to your CVA in any way but caliber but mine too will only shoot accurate groups using 2f powder; 85 grains. I tried a .535 ball but accuracy wasn't any better and it was just too difficult to load. The mattress ticking I like measures .018 thick and I use a .530 Lee mold.

No they are store bought hand cast roundball, never measured them but they would be pretty close to 0.535 going by the difference between them and Hornady balls. Lee molds are so cheap - just get one then manipulate your patch size to make up the difference. I would go with 0.530 for reasons stated.

When I was using mine it liked 90grns 2f for hunting and 55 grns 2f for target work both with .530 ball as well as 90 grns 2f with a maxi .

I use 80gr 3f, .530 ball, .018 ticking patch, and Hoppes black powder cleaner/lube on the patches. Get great accuracy, and can shoot all day without swabbing.

Yo he usado mucho el CVA Mountain (El modelo Made in Spain por DiKar para CVA). Para tiro de precisión uso 50 grains de pólvora negra de 3FFF, o 55 grains de 2FF, bola de 0,530 hecha en molde LEE y un calepino de lino de 0,015" o 0,018". Para cazar uso 90 grains de 2FF y el mismo calepino y bala. Saludos.
I used much the CVA Mountain (Model Made in Spain by Dikar for CVA). Use for target shooting, 55 yards, 50 grains of black powder 3FFF, or 55 grains of 2FF, 0,530 ball LEE mold made and linen patch 0.015" or 0.018". For hunting i used 90 grains of 2FF and the same patch and bullet. Greetings

Mine liked 60 grains 3F, 530 PRB and .015 Pillow ticking, Flint lock was pretty reliable after diassembly and hand fitting parts.

I bought one in kit form back about 1980. It is one of the best rifles that I have ever owned. When I first bought it I used .530 ball and a poly patch with a 90gr load of GOEX ff. This was a very accurate load. Off the bench, I would consistently get cloverleaf groups at 50 yards. I later switched to .018 pillow ticking and a .535 ball and 90gr of GOEX ff was still my most accurate load. I used Crisco as a lube. I retired the old gun in 1996 and built myself a flintlock. Now days I use a home made lube that beats any and everything else that I have ever tried. I mix 2 parts olive oil, 2 parts water and one part rubbing alcohol. I mix it and put it in a small squirt bottle with a fold down nozzle. I shake it up and squirt it onto a dry patch and shove it and the round ball down the bore and seat it on the powder. This formula will take all of the fowling and send it to the top of the powder with each loading. I can shoot an entire match and never need to clean between shots.

What proof is your Rubbing Alcohol 70 or 90?
I am interested in trying your patch lube recipe.

It has the percentage of alcohol to water on the bottle.
I asked because to much water might cause a cap to pop on my Lyman Great Planes 54cal or a flash in the pan with my TC 50cal flint lock.

I had a CVA 50cal rifle in the past and have always wanted a 58cal but have yet to find one.
BTW :photoSmile:

I haven't shot mine in a while but looking at my data I use a .530 ball from Lee Mold. A .015 pillowtick patch and 80gr Pyrodex Rifle. 50 yard were clover leafs with 100 yard 3" groups. Mule deer dropped right now. 35 yard head on shot. Elk was about 60 yards broadside. He ran 30 yards and piled up. Squirrels were not edible.

Back