• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WANTED .520” RB mold (Lyman or RCBS)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was curious, and investigated a little. It appears Lee Precision makes a six-cavity "gang mould" for .520" round balls, evidently marketed exclusively for Track of the Wolf. These are listed in Lee's current catalog, although, predictably, they are currently out of stock. I could not confirm that Lyman, RCBS, or Saeco produced moulds in .520". I don't doubt that they did, but I just couldn't confirm it.

I know the OP wants to do his own casting, but until a mould turns up, Hornady does make swaged round balls in .520". I found a few of those for sale. I think the current shortages apply more to the common sizes of balls than to the "outliers," like .520" or .480".

It is a shame and a pity that the mould manufacturers have discontinued so many sizes. They all compete with each other by making the same limited range of ball diameters now. If they would be willing to listen to customers and break out of their ruts, I think it would be financially rewarding for them. There was a lengthy thread on this forum a few months ago about .526" balls. I could use a mould in that size for my .54 caliber rifle. Lyman used to make a .526" mould, and I just discovered that twenty or so years ago, Lee was producing a .527" round ball mould. Chances are, Lyman and Lee both have those cherries kicking around the factory somewhere. When the current demand slows up, I think they would do well to reintroduce some limited runs of moulds for "obsolete" round ball sizes.

Just one old dude's opinion. If nothing else, it ought to bump this thread back to the top for a bit. Good luck finding that mould!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Thank you Bob, I appreciate you investigating into it. I think RCBS made one in the past. Nobody i’ve checked has any. I’m watching the auction site of course, hoping to spot one there.

I did just order one box of the swaged .520’s by Hornady that I found online. I also have my local dealer in town who will try to get me some.

.526” could be a good compromise, I’d like to see those offered on the shelves too. I’d buy a .526” mold if i found one.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed!

A note on the Lee five cavity .520 mold: You should do a test molding session, segregating the cast balls from each cavity. Then weigh them. There can be significant variation in the weights of the cast balls. You may get a mold with consistent weights; you may not. You may get a mold where all the cavities cast the same, or four, three two, or all different. You'll have to find out.

If you just haul off and cast quantities and use them all you'll find your shots stringing vertically.

Still looking for that .520” mold... 😟

I was having the same problem sourcing anything smaller than a .530 (which I have a mould for). I ordered from (BallMoulds) and got one in .527 to try in my .54 and a .69 for my Brown Bess. I had the moulds within two weeks of ordering I believe.

I haven’t had a chance to use the moulds yet but they fit in my Lee handles perfectly. They’re all single cavity and you have to cut the sprue with wire snips. I hope this helps.
32C8A25D-8FAB-4400-AF10-27060E814175.jpeg

-Jake

Got it!!!

WOW thanks for the tip. I don't know how I missed that!?!? I did a search maybe two hours ago and didn't see it.

I sure appreciate your help, I've been looking for awhile now and missed one on eBay a couple months ago in a bidding duel. Somehow my bid didn't go thru... Grrrr! So i've been looking for one ever since. This one looks to be in great shape too.

Latest posts

Back