• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

51 navy clone cutting barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffery

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello

I picked up a Pietta 51 navy brass frame in .44 cal. The revolver is engraved..i assume laser engraved..but anyways I'm looking to cut the 7.5 barrel down to a 5.5" barrel to be more useable to me. My question is..is it worth the work to cut and recrown the barrel and dovetail a new sight and new loading lever retainer or should I try and trade the 7.5 barrel for a short barrel or maybe just swap the whole gun off for a sheriff's model of some sort...

Thank you

Unless you are quite good at gunsmith work or know someone who is suggest you sell it and buy what you want. Or trade it.

Might try the free classified ads here after you meet the minimum membership requirements of 14 days membership and five posts. Supporting members can post ads right away.

Last edited:
Most of my knowledge on gunsmithing lies in the realm of Ars and other tactical weaponry. I'm owner of JP Gunworx here in PA. I figure if I took my time it wouldn't be that big of an issue. But its 2 people now that have said sell it and get a steel frame and sell it and get what barrel length ya want. What would something like it be worth to move quickly?

Here is a 44 brasser I got as part of a package purchase. It and an old flint CVA pistol were thrown into the deal. Obviously it has to be loaded with the cylinder out of the frame or by using a short ram rod. The builder used a small shotgun bead for the front sight by simply drilling and tapping the barrel. Surprisingly it shoots quite well and handles great. I am also happy with the bead as a front sight.

I'm not that familiar with Piettas. There should be alot of barrels off of brassers out there from revolvers with bent frames or loose abhors. I like the idea of the shortened barrel but I would see if I could locate an extra barrel. Pretty sure there are lots of "parts" out there.

upload_2019-8-1_18-8-1.jpeg

Above is the 1851 brass frames I referred to.

That looks pretty interesting. That's what I was thinking of doing to mine but haven't brought myself to chop up a engraved barrel. Was hoping someone would swap me a 5.5 barrel with loading lever or want to buy it...ill wait the 14 days then post the revolver up for sale or trade. I know were not suppose to make any deals outside the classifieds but if you would to talk about that brasser you got there shoot me a PM and maybe we can wiggle a deal out.

My Pietta '51 (steel frame) .36 had the best, smoothest trigger of any pistol or revolver I've ever owned, including S&W's, Rugers, Brownings. Great gun.

Here are my '51 and '60 short barreled brass frame guns. No problems here.

Attachments

• IMG_3691 (2018-09-17T18_48_44000) (2019-04-19T07_54_52.000).jpg
    IMG_3691 (2018-09-17T18_48_44000) (2019-04-19T07_54_52.000).jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0658-2.JPG
    IMG_0658-2.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 110
I cannot take credit for that one. I follow another gentleman by the name of Tinker Pierce. I first saw him do it. Sometimes it is a little clumsy but hey it does work and you can stash it away for later use.

Back