• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.51 Maxi

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a ".51 caliber maxi" mold. High quality aluminum blocks. The base band in the blocks measure .515". Top band is .52 and change.
Anybody ever heard of such? What gun it might have been made for?
For a freshed out TC .50 maybe?

It says ".51 MAXI", manufactured by NEI, likely before going to El Paso.
With the base being that diameter it's a .51 sure as shootin'.

I don't remember a .51 bore rifle being marketed.

Yeah, NEI built up that beautiful catalog of designs one customer's request at a time.
Think I'll fire up the melter, check the castings' dimensions and see if can be lapped out to use in my TC's rebored to .52.

Before you alter that mould, I have 2 suggestions for you: First, see if the "as cast" MB's are large enough for your gun's bore. Second, if not, beagle the mould to improve the fit, which I'm guessing it will. (The beauty of beagling is that it is reversible.) If all else fails, you'll have to lap it.

Not every one may know what the process for "beagling" a mold is. A few words to explain how the use of a sheet of paper or aluminum foil can be used to add a couple of thousandths of an inch in diameter to a cast object in a mold. Cut a U shaped piece if paper or aluminum foil to be sandwiched in the mold blocks around the ball. Cast with the paper or foil in place. Your as cast ball or in this case, the as cast Maxi-ball will be a little larger. The paper will char and need to be replaced after several maxi-balls have been cast. Aluminum foil lasts a little longer. You can get a little larger diameter increase with paper.

Back