• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50cal cannon build?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Kormos

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello, new to the group and new to building. I have always had an interest in building a cannon and finally have taken an action. After reading various sites and getting ideas I wanted to do a run down and get some other opinions. I’m basing my build off the .50cal cannon kits, but going a little overkill. I have a piece of CRS 1.75” thick. Drilling a .5” bore 7.5” deep. The overall length will be 9”. I’m keeping the walls .75” thick for safety. I’m planning on using muzzleloader round balls for projectiles. I will be drilling a 1/8”(3mm) hole for 3mm cannon fuse. The cradle/base and wheels will be done after the barrel is complete. And yes I have the room and backstop to shoot this. We have a 13 acre camp with woods and a shooting backstop. I’m a certified welder and the guys helping me are certified machinest.
My question is/are:
1. Will the walls be thick enough? I’m planning on 50grains of 1-2F powder.
2. Should I use a patch like a flintlock would take?
3. Should I use anything between the ball and powder?
Any other questions or concerns you may have please let me know. I want to make something cool for camp.

Last edited:
you should have no problem. Your wall thickness is quite plenty. 50 grains is not much powder. Patch round ball is perfect and put it right on the powder. I think you will find that you are more after the noise and not hitting anything with the round ball. stuff some moist paper towels on top of the powder and you will get a big BANG no ball required. Moist paper towells help keep the fire issues down.

Fleener

Back