• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

500 Yards, Stock 1:48 Twist TC Renegade .50 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The QLA was basically a counterbore that was the diameter of the driving band of a Maxi-Ball for the length of a Maxi-Ball. The theory was that the Maxi-Ball would now be perfectly aligned with the bore. Loading a patched round ball would be easier, much like in a coned barrel. In practice, the QLA counterbore abruptly stopped at the bottom of the counterbore leaving sharp edges on the lands that couldn't be smoothed out. The sharp edges are detrimental to accuracy and most hopes for improved performance were lost.
Thats a stupid idea. Maxi balls are easy enough to load as is lol

Other “Things” have there place…. When it’s pouring rain and my Pretty T/Cs are at home.
👍:ThankYou: I agree! I've had a love of TCs ever since I bought my first Hawken in 72, and I was sorry when they stopped making Traditionals in favor of those other things

I only hope to shoot like that some day. I am truly in awe with Idahos’ shooting skills. The term, “Very impressive” just doesn’t seem to describe the reaction to these feats.

I’m tempted to sell all my other “non TC rifles” or give those modern unmentionables to the kids. As for my wife and I, we’ll keep and cherish our TC side locks

I’m tempted to sell all my other “non TC rifles” or give those modern unmentionables to the kids. As for my wife and I, we’ll keep and cherish our TC side locks
Don’t say that too loud ‘round here, some people seem to think that TC’s are the biggest pieces of metal poop that the metallurgy demigods ever pooped!!!

I had five TC Muzzleloaders back in the 70's and only one of them shot worth a darn. Hitting a gong at 500 yards. I couldn't hit it 3 out of 20 shots. I am not challenging anyone, but the one thing I am sure over the years. Give me 100 buckskinners and 3/4 of them would be full of it. In the early days our ML Club had monthly shoots and during those times of sitting around the fire and dutch oven, the BS would fly like shooting deer consistently at 300 yards, shooting gongs at 600 yards, etc. I got so tired of hearing this gospel talk of what they had done and what they could do, When it came my turn to do a Shoot at our mountain rendezvous I set 4 x 8 sheets of plywood at 600 yards with a 2 ft bulls eye in the middle. Out of all those buckskinners (you know the ones that would consistently shoot deer at 300 yard) missed the target and the closest one bounced the ball into that target. Not saying it can't happen, not saying it didn't happen. All I am saying is when some one is talking, I want to be there when they are doing. Had a friend shoot two shots at 500 yards one inch apart. I tried to get him to shot some other shots. "Nope, I know where it shoots now. That good enough". Be darned if he didn't brag about his group for ever.

I did not think a 48" twist barrel would retain stability that far, let alone being a TC barrel. What do I know, the best shooting gun I saw was one I made with a Green River 45 cal. barrel with a 60" twist. A GRRW straight shooting barrel was not usual, but what was different is that it would not shoot round balls straight, but was a tack driver. at long distances, with a very long elongated bullet, so who knows about these ML's.

Idaho Lewis, I am sure you shot three shot with that group. Can you do it consistently or was it a fluke? Like to see it done in person. If you get into Utah, look me up. We have a range already set up at 500, 600 and 700 yards. The concrete tables are set. Little community so its free and no wait.

Excellent shooting and videos. As someone who has done and continues to do a fair amount of long range shooting with unmentionable long guns and handguns, I know this is absolutely possible and repeatable once the gun is sighted in. You have skill and you’ve put in the hard work. Well done!

👍:ThankYou: I agree! I've had a love of TCs ever since I bought my first Hawken in 72, and I was sorry when they stopped making Traditionals in favor of those other things
TC's have never let me down. For standard production ML's, they are my favorite.

Back