• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

500 Yards, Stock 1:48 Twist TC Renegade .50 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idaholewis...dont sweat it. Some here tell me that a pyrodex load and in the pan will not work and ruin my weekend, Life, Ect.ect ect.....

I don‘t sweat it :) I educate the uneducated on this Long Range Muzzleloading fairly often, Shooting Long Range is a Passion of mine, i have been doing this stuff from my Beginning in Muzzleloading, and LONG LONG Before this with unmentionables here. In Short, I thoroughly enjoy it 👍
A LOT of people have a hard time Grasping it, These EXTREME Ranges seem impossible with Blackpowder, Cast Bullets, and OPEN/PEEP Sights, I understand, I was Skeptical when i first Started this as well, BUT i NEVER EVER called BS on Folks that were doing it. Instead, I Talked to them about it, Then grabbed the Bull by the Horns, Set up MY OWN Rifles and Went out and Started doing it on MY OWN. I have had very little help in this

I see Ole @User_Dan was here at 2:35 but he didn’t have anything to say :)

What do you say about this @User_Dan They were shooting 2,000 Yards in the late 1800s
http://www.researchpress.co.uk/index.php/marksmanship/nra/the-2000-yard-competitions

. . . I educate the uneducated on this Long Range Muzzleloading fairly often, Shooting Long Range is a Passion of mine . . .
Long range muzzle loading is a joy. It's an engaging sport steeped in history - it's challenging, can be frustrating (a lot of weather can happen in 1000 yards! :) ), and ultimately immensely satisfying. I've been lucky to have shot with many who have shared this passion and from whom I have learnt so much. It's nice to share that knowledge with others wishing to learn and allay the bickering of occasional naysayers.

David

I don‘t sweat it :) I educate the uneducated on this Long Range Muzzleloading fairly often, Shooting Long Range is a Passion of mine, i have been doing this stuff from my Beginning in Muzzleloading, and LONG LONG Before this with unmentionables here. In Short, I thoroughly enjoy it 👍
A LOT of people have a hard time Grasping it, These EXTREME Ranges seem impossible with Blackpowder, Cast Bullets, and OPEN/PEEP Sights, I understand, I was Skeptical when i first Started this as well, BUT i NEVER EVER called BS on Folks that were doing it. Instead, I Talked to them about it, Then grabbed the Bull by the Horns, Set up MY OWN Rifles and Went out and Started doing it on MY OWN. I have had very little help in this

What do you say about this @User_Dan They were shooting 2,000 Yards in the late 1800s
http://www.researchpress.co.uk/index.php/marksmanship/nra/the-2000-yard-competitions
that is exactly how a young guy who keeps his mouth shut learns from older guys with experience. a guy who is a young know it all will learn nothing and take a much longer time to get good. it amazes me the amount of guys that if they dont have a hubbel space telescope on their rifles they cant shoot past 50 yds. palma match shooter shoot at 1000 yds with peeps

Alas and tarnation, my "local" long-range range will not allow calibers over .30. (It's a 90 minute drive from me) Even when using a lead alloy bullet. My son is very much the long range aficionado; I learned in The Corps, so it's fun to find that I can still make such shots with modern gear, and modern stuff is not a problem, but there is a hard and fast rule on the caliber. NOW they do allow me to shoot out to 300 yards, with lead or lead alloy in my .54, but "that isn't long range" as my son says... It's pretty long for me with a flinter LOL.

LD

The ONLY Bad TC’s i have had were 2 With QLA Muzzles, they were HORRIBLE at best, I avoid them like the Plague. Other than those 2, My experiences with TC Hawken’s and Renegades have been ALL Good, They are my Favorite Rifle, I own Several of them, They all shoot EXTREMELY well
I am fairly new to this type of shooting. Please don't make fun if I ask, "what makes the QLA barrels different from the rest?
How would I know a good one to buy?
Idaholewis has just about convinced me to invest in a TC Renegade, but I don't want to get burned.
Aj

I am fairly new to this type of shooting. Please don't make fun if I ask, "what makes the QLA barrels different from the rest?
How would I know a good one to buy?
Idaholewis has just about convinced me to invest in a TC Renegade, but I don't want to get burned.
Aj
QLA = Quick Load Accurizer
The last inch or so of rifling at the end of the barrel was machined out to make loading a bullet easier. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time, but T/C had issues with getting the machining perfectly concentric with the bore - which played havoc with accuracy. Older models didn't have the QLA "feature".

Lets review the difference between theory and practice.

In theory the QLA would perfectly align the Maxi ball with the bore or allow a patched round ball to be thumb started to eliminate the need for a short starter. In practice due to misalignment and sharp burrs at the end of the QLA accuracy on target suffered greatly in some rifles. As @Nameless Hunter states, the QLA played havoc with accuracy.

@Colterkid, if you don't want to get burned on a purchase of a T/C rifle, don't get one with the QLA that has the rifling removed at the muzzle.

Lets review the difference between theory and practice.

In theory the QLA would perfectly align the Maxi ball with the bore or allow a patched round ball to be thumb started to eliminate the need for a short starter. In practice due to misalignment and sharp burrs at the end of the QLA accuracy on target suffered greatly in some rifles. As @Nameless Hunter states, the QLA played havoc with accuracy.

@Colterkid, if you don't want to get burned on a purchase of a T/C rifle, don't get one with the QLA that has the rifling removed at the muzzle.
Thanks Grenadier. You're so
kind to help this old man who's trying to learn new things.
It's wonderful to have people like you, and others who do not look down on people like me who have much to learn and wants to be the best at this thing.
Thanks for not being condescending.
Also, I appreciate Idaholewis for sharing great information too, out of his years of experience of trial and error. It would take me years to learn what he has, and he willingly shared good information too.
Hats off to all those who has shown me kindness.
Aj

Most TC barrels were not rifled or crowned uniformly enough for such accuracy. My TC Hawken had one groove that was barely a scratch and the flint locks were not worth manure.

And lets see a ten shot group..
I have Shot and Recovered .490 Balls out to 600 Yards in a 10-12 Foot Dirt Bank. I was trying to Hit my gong but never did, There was some wind kicked up and ended my Shooting so I can’t speak of Accuracy. 200 Yards is the farthest i have Shot Roundball accurately

Here is 1 of the .490 Balls i recovered at 600 Yards, It’s safe to say that this is the end of the line, the Ball doesn’t have much left here, Stil wouldn’t want hit with it though :)
57i1DQ9.jpg
Here is 1 of my TC Hawken Stocks with a 1:24 Twist Rice .50 Cal Barrel at 1,200 Yards, This is a LONG Poke :)

Thanks Idaholewis, for being willing to share years and years of experience through trial and error, to help this old man learn how to be more accurate.
Your wisdom is incalculable to me.
Thanks for your kindness.

Yesterday’s short range accuracy test with the Ole STOCK TC Renegade .50 Cal showed me PLENTY enough to Head for Some distance :) The Old Renegade was up for the Challenge 👍

The Video

The Gong is 500 Yards, Ranged with my Leica 1600 Rangefinder
yBJROpT.jpg

a2QwYi4.jpg

BACO .492-450 Swaged Cupped Base Paper Patch Bullets, 80 Grains of Swiss 2F Powder, 1/8 Wool Felt .54 Cal Wads

XeIw1tv.jpg

3 Shots Measure 4“ inches, That is SUB MOA at 500 Yards with a BONE STOCK 48 Twist TC Renegade :) These Old STOCK Side Hammer Guns are VERY VERY CAPABLE Fellas :thumb: They just need the Right Components, and Someone to Get behind em, and “Drive“ Them

BAhTopB.jpg

Would like to learn more about the bullets you are using, wads or no wads, size of wads, etc. If you can direct me to another thread, or link, or video.
What you've accomplished is nothing short of amazing.
Aj

Would like to learn more about the bullets you are using, wads or no wads, size of wads, etc. If you can direct me to another thread, or link, or video.
Have a look at the introductory articles by Bill Roberts that I have on line. These will give an appreciation of some of the factors involved in long range muzzle loading. You’ll need to tailor things to suit your choice of rifle, but they should give you a good idea of what’s involved with the sport.

David

QLA = Quick Load Accurizer
The last inch or so of rifling at the end of the barrel was machined out to make loading a bullet easier. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time, but T/C had issues with getting the machining perfectly concentric with the bore - which played havoc with accuracy. Older models didn't have the QLA "feature".

And even when it was concentric the QLA was nothing more than a square bottomed counter sink.
That does not help you do anything.

I thought he gave all that data (the bullets - exactly which ones, the powder and how much, lube, etc) at the beginning of the thread?

861B4B23-4441-4646-9D59-073600623637.jpeg

Back