• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

500 Yards, Stock 1:48 Twist TC Renegade .50 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I start with the caveat that I am not in the league with accomplished long range shooters, but I have a fair number of TC rifles, mostly New Englanders and several Black Mountain Magnums. Some are better than others, but I have never had a bad one. Never noticed much difference between those with QLA or those without, other than the QLA does load those sub-caliber projectiles wrapped in unmentionable bullet holders a mite easier. The worst of mine will still hold minute of coffee saucer at 100 yards with any appropriate loading. And my favorite for western mule deer hunting, one of the BMM's, groups that size out at 250 yards with the above described unmentionable payload. Though I confess it wears a glass sight in deference to my elderly eyes.

I also join in the thanks to Lewis for his interesting, informative, and detailed inputs. Viewing his videos I don't understand questioning their veracity. The doubters must truly be impressed with their perceived self worth to think this gentleman would waste his time and effort creating bogus data in an effort to impress them with made up accomplishments. Get a life...

Thanks SDS. :thumb:

Getting the tallest makes sense if it's a blade sight - I think that was the confusion.

Yeah, don't know if I acknowledged Lewis on his posts. It's pretty unusual and special for someone who's really got the game figured out to provide all the little tricks that contribute to his success.

As for the QLA - with everything else that needs modified in removing it (shortening the barrel) it makes more sense to walk away. Although, I wonder about reaming the QLA concentric with the bore... correct the issue at the source, since the problem isn't QLAs, but the application where it was made off-center.

Had a TC Big Bore with a QLA that was off center with the bore and was horrible in the accuracy department. Sold before correcting, although buyer was made aware of the issue. He just had to have that Big Bore. Sill have a 50 TC Firestorm flintlock (1-48 twist) with a QLA that shoots patched roundballs and conicals as accurate as any rifle I own or have owned. Would call accuracy potential luck of the draw with QLA barrel. If you run into problems with one, you could always shorten the barrel or center up and rebore the QLA, but would require access to a lathe to do correctly in my opinion.

Thanks Lewis! I see there are four different heights of the #17 front sight. Which would you recommend?

The AHB, I much prefer it due to it’s .404 height, I want my Peep Bridge as low as i can Get it, The Lyman 17 AHB is the Lowest Globe I know of

Wow! It's interesting how such a simple post can turn into this. I'm one who does a lot of long range shooting with black powder, all be it with cartridge guns and see nothing suspect in the original post to warrant some of the comments on here. I've watched and participated in putting shots on steel at one mile with black powder so I know what the capabilities are. Also this is an esablished shoot and anyone of the naysayers are welcome to attend. Just requires showing up north of Lusk Wyoming to see it though it's over this year, but you can read all about on a particular cartridge rifle forum if you google it.

I know the Shoot, The Wasserburger Mile :)

I start with the caveat that I am not in the league with accomplished long range shooters, but I have a fair number of TC rifles, mostly New Englanders and several Black Mountain Magnums. Some are better than others, but I have never had a bad one. Never noticed much difference between those with QLA or those without, other than the QLA does load those sub-caliber projectiles wrapped in unmentionable bullet holders a mite easier. The worst of mine will still hold minute of coffee saucer at 100 yards with any appropriate loading. And my favorite for western mule deer hunting, one of the BMM's, groups that size out at 250 yards with the above described unmentionable payload. Though I confess it wears a glass sight in deference to my elderly eyes.

I also join in the thanks to Lewis for his interesting, informative, and detailed inputs. Viewing his videos I don't understand questioning their veracity. The doubters must truly be impressed with their perceived self worth to think this gentleman would waste his time and effort creating bogus data in an effort to impress them with made up accomplishments. Get a life...

Thank you for the Kind Words.

I know folks that have QLA Muzzle TC’s and LOVE them, I personally had bad luck and got burned out on them. If the QLA Works for ya that is all that Matters

If I could give any advice on a TC QLA Muzzle it would be to Avoid the use of Over Powder Wads (At least try with, and Without) and That is HARD advice for me to give because i swear By the Use of Wool Felt Over Powder Wads, The Bullet BASE is what actually Steers the Bullet, Therefore i protect them at all Costs, But with a QLA Muzzle I found the Wad to be Causing the Most of my Problems, It’s CRAZY how it works, As the Bullet Starts it’s Exit from the QLA there can be a LOT of Negative Disturbance there. I have literally seen Bullets Fly Several Feet Off from eachother at 50-60 Yards, I wasn’t sure i was safe standing behind the Rifle :) This was with an Over Powder wad, The Barrel Shot reasonable without a Wad. My barrels without QLA will Shoot Ragged Hole Groups as long as i do my Part

That is such bull! TC flintlocks were such manure that warranty claims cost TC a fortune. They kept replacing frizzens and locks, eventually had to alter the geometry of the flint locks for a better design, which did not fix the problem. IF TC is so great, why do they no longer honor their Life time warranty? LOL. They reneged on the Patriot Pistol warranty already back in the 1990's. (they claimed a fire prevented it. Not my problem, their contractual warranty to live up to, fire or not. BTW, the Judge here agreed..)

Didn't inspect? Such bull again, how do you inspect inside a sealed box that comes as a holiday gift? Why did Chuck Dixon refuse to carry new TC guns at Dixon's Muzzle loader Shop?
Still crying I see. Sometimes life hands you manure. Grow up and get over it. 😭

Idaholewis, I'm inspired to go back to tinkering, thank you very much.
Still finding time to work on the flinter Renegade with the .52 bore rifling geometry that I designed to shoot off the shelf .50 rifle molds paper patched and run through a Lee custom .519 diameter sizer. The percussion version works great but I want to see what I can do with the shorter barrel flinter. Also, need to make up another batch of Lyman #533476 sized down to .519.
Which reminds me to call that in network optometrist today.

A local guy who worked for Thompson Center in NH was looking at my Hawkins that I bought as a kit at the NAVY BX. He said he worked cutting out the walnut stock blanks and they were all the highest quality. then they closed TC and it moved out of New Hampshire somewhere and the quality was not what it was. Sorry I did not buy one of each model they made, but I was lucky to afford what I could on a Submariners pay. as long as I can hit a deer at 30-50 yards with it its fine.. if you load it with #2 lead shot you can get 3 woodchucks at once in the garden .

Here is ANOTHER Old TC Renegade in Action this Morning, This one in .54 Cal

The Rifle on the Right, Old Pre-Warning TC Renegade .54 Cal, STOCK 1:48 Twist Just the way they came from the Factory Years ago, The ONLY Thing that is NOT Stock is the Sights. Rifle on the Left is the TC Renegade that i just Did 500 Yards with. There is a Video of this as well, I mention you in a Round about way 😉
LlZRMmf.jpg

isLvA8x.jpg

First 3 Shots
OUtLpT4.jpg

I sent 2 More for Good measure 😉 This is 5 Shots
Y2aqidI.jpg
The Muszzle Blast Cracked your trucks windshield. You out to see what a Large Caliber Morden Cartridge rifle of large Big Game Magnum caliber. can do to a truck just from the Compensater Blast. Good idea not to use your truck as a shooing rest. use someone else's truck.

That would work 👍 Quite a bit of work involved. Cut & Re-Crown Barrel, Cut Underlug to fit, Re Drill & Tap for Underlug, And Cut new Front sight Dovetail
With my B.P. rifle to shoot the distances you are shooting, I would need to get the back sight as high as I can and the front sight as low as I can? I think the front sight needs to be under the barrel not on top of it for me to reach the target? Pun intended!

Believe you are correct about the ATC and many vernier rear sights, but I was recommending the shorter AHB for use with the Lyman 57. I mainly commented because another poster recommended getting the tallest 17 Globe and filing it down to match the rear sight.
That would be some fancy file work!

Back